stickchick

SCAL on Windows?

i think im buying the Titan 3 53".  I really dont like paying so much for software.  i know, i know, ts just the way i feel.  no lectures please.  but im trying to go legit.  still not gonna pay $400+ for some generic software though.  

but i notice the scal pro is included as a software option.  and it states in the fine print under requirements, a pc or mac.  i dont think i have seen any talk about pc users with scal.  It sounds like people really like it though.  I was just going to get vm cut, but figure im probably missing something.  note, i do have a copy of ai.  maybe all i need is ai & vm cut?  

thx.

Which $400 software is generic? Your kinda limited on cutting software.   If you want to got FREE, download the old Signblazer.  I Think they use the Copam driver with it.   It has not been updated for many years, but many still use it.  Scalp is not really a fan favorite,.  It was created for the hobby use for a Cricut cutter. UScutter used to give it included with cutters, but too many glitches, So they offer the Vinyl Master. For PC. And Scalp for Mac.  You have to choose one or the other. for Scalp.    You will have to teach yourself pretty much on it.  Us old timers gave it a thumbs down years ago.  I can't think of anyone that uses it. Nothing Pro about Scalp. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Which $400 software is generic?   If you want to got FREE, download the old Signblazer.  I Think they use the Copam driver with it.   It has not been updated for many years, but many still use it.  Scalp is not really a fan favorite,.  It was created for the hobby use for a Cricut cutter. UScutter used to give it included with cutters, but too many glitches, So they offer the Vinyl Master. For PC. And Scalp for Mac.  You have to choose one or the other. for Scalp.    You will have to teach yourself pretty much on it.  Us old timers gave it a thumbs down years ago.  I can't think of anyone that uses it. Nothing Pro about Scalp. 

the vm pro is $416 upgrade.  it just hurts too much.  would CUT or LTR be sufficient?  its an extra $120.  I think this is another reason i liked the graphtec, the premium software included.  

scalp used to be scal until they lost a lawsuit with cricut (it was only supporting cricut at that time) - so they had to find a new market and added the p to the end - tried it - couldn't stand it but there are 3-4 people on here that like it.    vm was made to be sign software from the get go and not crafter software.  IMHO

• Like 2

Welcome to the real world of vinyl.  Nothing is cheap.  Would you put kerosene into  a Cadillac?  Software is what makes your cutter perform. The features are in the software.  Yes, you can go cheap and fight with it,  glitchy, freezes, etc.  It's like anything in this vinyl world, you get what you pay for.   This is considered a skilled job for a reason.  Vinyl Master is not generic software. 

• Like 2

If you want free  try this link.  On Google it will start downloading as soon as you click it.  At least it does on my computer,  I am up to 6 downloads. It is for Windows only.  It mostly likes Version 8 eps files from illustrator.   You may have to turn off your anti virus, to install. Owner died years back. it will not be updated. It is abandonware.

http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

• Like 1

SignBlazer is free, and it gets the job done. It has nothing to do with AI, so that's net even a requirement at all. However, if you're looking for something that you can cut from AI, I believe Graphtec's software has a plugin so you can cut straight out of AI and CD.

Admittedly SignBlazer looks and is, a bit antiquated compared to what's out there now - but it's free, and most importantly, it works. I learn in SB, because at the time I bought my LP, there was not offered up software. SB is my 'go to' software when I need to get something done quickly, and that's because while I now own a Graphtec, I really haven't taken the time to learn the software so I can be as proficient on it  like I am with SB. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, but my SB works fine, it gets the job done, and it's a stress-free program for me at this point.

• Like 1

i found how to get vm pro (or xpt, dsr) at a significant discount, but im afraid to say, it might disappear!!!!

23 minutes ago, stickchick said:

i found how to get vm pro (or xpt, dsr) at a significant discount, but im afraid to say, it might disappear!!!!

That discount has been there for a very long time. 

• Haha 1

If you have AI already all you really need is VM cut. You can do all your design work in AI then export it as an eps and cut it with VM. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, darcshadow said:

If you have AI already all you really need is VM cut. You can do all your design work in AI then export it as an eps and cut it with VM. 

thats what i want to hear.  thanks.  i thought so, but wasnt sure.