Sign in to follow this  
G3 Design

SC2 Problems going from USB to Serial

Hello all, this is my first post here and unfortunately it is because of issues. I wanted to switch from USB connection to serial on my SC2 because while cutting a rather large flag it had the same mess up twice right in the middle. I purchased a tripp lite keyspan adaptor from Amazon,  installed the drivers and plugged it all in. Now my cutter will not respond when I send it something to cut or area test. It auto detects just fine. I am running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 920. I called customer support three times during hours last week with no answer. Any help is appreciated before I break down and buy a new plotter.

Thanks

Are you using the serial Cable that shipped with your plotter?   Many require a null modem serial cable but i am unsure about your model. . .  If it is the cable that shipped with the plotter it should be no problem

G3design,  I would first try to go into your Hardware configuration (Device Manager) control panel and manually alter the COM port for the Keyspan/USB on the computer.

15 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Are you using the serial Cale that shipped with your plotter?   Many require a null modem serial cable but i am unsure about your model. . .  If it is the cable that shipped with the plotter it should be no problem

I switched back from the one that came with my plotter, auto detected it and still no movement. I can send it things to do but it will not respond to them. 

7 hours ago, slice&dice said:

G3design,  I would first try to go into your Hardware configuration (Device Manager) control panel and manually alter the COM port for the Keyspan/USB on the computer.

I'm not sure I know what you mean exactly. I can go into Device Manager and change settings on the Keyspan, but I'm not sure what I should change. I did try switching from hardware to software on the flow control, but it did not change anything.

Which software are you using?  Are you sending the cutter vector images?  Try typing some text on the layout screen and sending it.    Show some screen shots of what you are doing.  How did you hook up the Tripp Lite Keyspan Adapter?  Show some pictures.   When you installed the driver, did you reboot your computer and made sure the driver was installed.  Can you go to the driver and see that it installed properly. No yellow ? beside it.   Look at the computer device manager and the connection in your software. the com port numbers must match.   It should be on hardware. 

30 minutes ago, G3 Design said:

I switched back from the one that came with my plotter, auto detected it and still no movement. I can send it things to do but it will not respond to them. 

I'm not sure I know what you mean exactly. I can go into Device Manager and change settings on the Keyspan, but I'm not sure what I should change. I did try switching from hardware to software on the flow control, but it did not change anything.

copy that - wanted to make sure - we have also seen people trying to connect the keyspan without a cable so troubleshooting here :wacko:

19 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Which software are you using?  Are you sending the cutter vector images?  Try typing some text on the layout screen and sending it.    Show some screen shots of what you are doing.  How did you hook up the Tripp Lite Keyspan Adapter?  Show some pictures.   When you installed the driver, did you reboot your computer and made sure the driver was installed.  Can you go to the driver and see that it installed properly. No yellow ? beside it. 

Software is vinyl master cut 4.0. 

I just tried sending it 6 letters typed out with no luck.

The keyspan adapter is hooked up using the cable that came with the plotter and is securely plugged in on both ends. I do have the blinking green light and when I send it data is does go solid green.

I did reboot my computer after the driver was installed.

Screenshot (231).png

Why do you have the Keyspan on Com 6?   Change it down to Com 2, Then match it in your cutting software. Com2   

A few more images from my end. Thanks to those trying to help me resolve this. I was able to USB cut a few minutes ago, but still not with the serial port.

Screenshot (232).png

Screenshot (233).png

32 minutes ago, G3 Design said:

Device Manager ---  go to Ports.
OK, what do you see there? Your USB-Serial emulation device should be listed.

Right-click on it, and choose Properties. Then select the Port Settings tab. Then Advanced. The Com Port number drop-down needs to be set to Com4 or under.

• Like 1

Okay, I was able to change it over to COM 2. Reboot the computer. Auto detect the plotter. Still nothing. Here's a screenshot of my settings both in Device Manager and in Vinyl Master.

Screenshot (235).png

Hmmmmmm. very odd.

For the record, I have an SC2 also, and it will not respond while hooked up with a serial cable. I've tried everything, and finally just gave up and remained with the USB (and I currently don't use VM, but prefer SignBlazer)

Before you abandon the plotter, try SignBlazer.
http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

14 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Hmmmmmm. very odd.

For the record, I have an SC2 also, and it will not respond while hooked up with a serial cable. I've tried everything, and finally just gave up and remained with the USB (and I currently don't use VM, but prefer SignBlazer)

Before you abandon the plotter, try SignBlazer.
http://www.uscuttersupport.com/downloads/Software/SignBlazer/signblazer_setup.exe

Seems to be my problem as well. I can live with USB, but it is a problem when it will not cut what I need it to like the high quality flag i was trying to cut. Ill try out the signblazer software.

Also, I do not see US Cutter SC2 in the list of cutters that signblazer can be used with.

I hope your grounded your cutter to the stand.  Also try, using your pen tool.  If the flag design completes using the pen tool, then more likely it's static, than memory. 

59 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I hope your grounded your cutter to the stand.  Also try, using your pen tool.  If the flag design completes using the pen tool, then more likely it's static, than memory. 

Well I'm not sure what I did right or wrong, but after several hours of troubleshooting it finally just drew my flag with a pen on paper. I did not know about grounding until today but I was able to ground my cutter using some wire and connectors I had here at the house. 

I also saw where some were putting dryer sheets in their vinyl rolls to help with static. Not sure if it helps but Ill try it,

Big thank you to all who responded trying to help!

Did you get the serial to work? Or this result (with pen) was using USB?

1 minute ago, slice&dice said:

Did you get the serial to work? Or this result (with pen) was using USB?

Serial still does not work. This was using USB. But this flag was the whole reason I went down the road of serial after two failed cuts.

Vinyl has a lot of static in it.  Yes, dryer sheets will work, as well as rubbing down your cutter and vinyl with dryer sheets.  Also you can try spraying down the area with a Static guard type of spray.  Run a humidifier.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 2:08 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Why do you have the Keyspan on Com 6?   Change it down to Com 2, Then match it in your cutting software. Com2   

I received my SC2 a few weeks ago and was unable to get my UScutter SC2 to work with Vinylmaster Cut because I could not get the program to recognize the cutter via USB connection and my laptop did not have a serial port. I was reading posts about how to resolve and what adapter to buy yesterday and even I even bought a serial to usb adapter that is coming today!

Anyway, last night I went to my laptop device manager and changed the Com from 5 to 2! Worked instantly! I am new to all this, and learning as I go along, thank you MZ Skeeter for the information, it worked on the first try and I was able to cut using VinylMaster Cut.

• Like 1