Sign in to follow this  
stickchick

im sure this is new topic.... help deciding on machine

57 minutes ago, haumana said:

My bad - I thought Skeeter's post was for a 30" machine, and that the OP was considering getting the 34" LP3, but it is out of stock.

The FC7000-75 is considered a 30" machine and it can cut the full 30" if you turn the media sensor off.  With the sensor on it cuts. 29.7/32 inches.  If you were to cut down a 48" roll  to a 34" wide roll,  it would cut edge to edge.    The cutter is so wide it would hold a roll of 43" wide vinyl. But you cannot cut past the far right grit roller.   End to end the cutter is 49.5" wide end cap to end cap. Cutter throat is approx 43" wide as well as the rollers behind.  And some supply shops do sell 36" wide vinyl. 

• Like 2

I changed the Model in my Flexi software to a Graphtec FC7000MK2-130  (54") to get the extra width in my software and it cut it just fine, , I ran the length of my 24"w vinyl across the cutter. about 36"   The PROMPT light did come on, but it went out on it's own and started cutting.   It's just a matter of tricking your cutter, and using a different model on your cutting software.   All sensors off.   You have to keep the head over an inch away from the left side, as there is a steel shaft that sticks out, for the cross cutter,  Or you would be smacking into it and I don't know what would happen it you did that while cutting. 

Just for kicks, I went back to the ad for the Laser Pointer 3.  UScutter website.  There is nothing in inventory of any size.   Only a message like this    

Get notified when this product is back in stock.

This product is currently out of stock. If you would like to be notified when this product is back in stock please enter your email address below.

well i finally did it...  had a big scare though, my card kept declining.  some security bull.

I will get some more supplies next week.  heck, i will probably want the graptec next week!

image.thumb.png.4667867d10d15f907a872040d7fefd40.png

• Like 1

one idea my husband had, you know that stuff they use in commercial kitchens for cutting surfaces?  i think it called "hdpe".  my husband has access to large sheets.  He said he would build me a big sturdy work table and put a sheet of that stuff on top.  Is this a good idea?

thx for all your help.  im sure i will have many more questions:)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stickchick said:

one idea my husband had, you know that stuff they use in commercial kitchens for cutting surfaces?  i think it called "hdpe".  my husband has access to large sheets.  He said he would build me a big sturdy work table and put a sheet of that stuff on top.  Is this a good idea?

thx for all your help.  im sure i will have many more questions:)

All you really need is a flat surface., but if your hubby is willing to build you a nice big, sturdy one - do NOT turn him down. The self-healing mat will come in handy when you start to use a blade to separate cut and taped vinyl into any necessary smaller pieces.

There's a thread someplace on the forum about stuff that people have as their 'toolkit'.

I still highly recommend getting the Clean Cut Blades. I also highly recommend a rolling cutter - Fiskars or OLFA, whatever floats your boat (pun intended :lol:), and a good straight edge - preferably one that had some type of finger guard, or some way to protect your fingers beyond a regular ruler. The tool you use to weed will definitely be a personal choice - some use super sharp, pointy tweezers, others use dental picks, I use a thin, small blade x-acto. Oh, and don't forget the squeegees!

Welcome to your new addiction.

*Add-on: application fluid ... you don't need to buy it, just search the forum for homemade recipes. I make mine with a recipe from this forum, never saw a need to buy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a nice cart selection, you'll be very satisfied with spending $2k and getting up and running in this business.

Congrats.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, haumana said:

All you really need is a flat surface., but if your hubby is willing to build you a nice big, sturdy one - do NOT turn him down. The self-healing mat will come in handy when you start to use a blade to separate cut and taped vinyl into any necessary smaller pieces.

There's a thread someplace on the forum about stuff that people have as their 'toolkit'.

I still highly recommend getting the Clean Cut Blades. I also highly recommend a rolling cutter - Fiskars or OLFA, whatever floats your boat (pun intended :lol:), and a good straight edge - preferably one that had some type of finger guard, or some way to protect your fingers beyond a regular ruler. The tool you use to weed will definitely be a personal choice - some use super sharp, pointy tweezers, others use dental picks, I use a thin, small blade x-acto. Oh, and don't forget the squeegees!

Welcome to your new addiction.

*Add-on: application fluid ... you don't need to buy it, just search the forum for homemade recipes. I make mine with a recipe from this forum, never saw a need to buy it.

im going to order some clean cut blades now.  what should i get?  im reading about 45* & 60*.  but according to the descriptions, i might need 25 & 30 if im cutting large letters in standard vinyl?  im thinking a couple of each for now?

25 and 30° are recommended for window tint, thin and stretchy heat press materials, and large lettering (3/4"+) in standard vinyl.

45° The normal all around blade for cutting down to 3/8" letters in vinyl to 10 mi and everyday heat press vinyl.

60° use this blade for harder to cut material (paper, sand blast mask, laminates)  and small detailed cutting down        to 1/8".

I’ve used only the 60 degree cc for everything for years       

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

awesome.  thats what i will get.

• Like 1

oh, one more thing.  i should get the ones that are roland?

edit:  nevermind.  i answered my own question.  they direct me to roland.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

call Ross and mention the forum and dakotagrafx sent you  

Too late. I figured the discount wouldn't be all that much anyway. But it's funny they said they've already processed and shipped the order! USCutter says it's still pending review. I hope I get my order this week

14 minutes ago, stickchick said:

Too late. I figured the discount wouldn't be all that much anyway. But it's funny they said they've already processed and shipped the order! USCutter says it's still pending review. I hope I get my order this week

Save this post, This is the correct way to set your blade depth. It is posted hundreds of times on here

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stickchick said:

it's always fun getting new toys - if you ordered the cleancut from uscutter there isn't a forum discount - that is only direct thru cleancut.  uscutter started trying to sell cleancuts rebranded as greenstar premium but I think brand confusion by using their house brand which is associated with lesser products was a miss step - then they sold them as just cleancut blades but again uscutters marketing has always been toward entry level plotters at bottom prices.   at one point they tried to sell roland printers and get into the wrap supply market - but again I think it went against their main target market and has, for the most part,  been dropped.   I really think they would not be one of the larger graphtec sellers if it was not for all the people on here that gave graduated to them and commented on the difference.

on the heat press side of things I have one of the t-square it and love it - helps me to make sure my htv is applied center and straight.  That and a safety ruler I believe are a must after you get going a little - the safety ruler has a large ridge that keeps your fingers safe when you get going to fast and the blade jumps the edge - took a couple of stitches to figure that was worth the money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

it's always fun getting new toys - if you ordered the cleancut from uscutter there isn't a forum discount - that is only direct thru cleancut.  uscutter started trying to sell cleancuts rebranded as greenstar premium but I think brand confusion by using their house brand which is associated with lesser products was a miss step - then they sold them as just cleancut blades but again uscutters marketing has always been toward entry level plotters at bottom prices.   at one point they tried to sell roland printers and get into the wrap supply market - but again I think it went against their main target market and has, for the most part,  been dropped.   I really think they would not be one of the larger graphtec sellers if it was not for all the people on here that gave graduated to them and commented on the difference.

on the heat press side of things I have one of the t-square it and love it - helps me to make sure my htv is applied center and straight.  That and a safety ruler I believe are a must after you get going a little - the safety ruler has a large ridge that keeps your fingers safe when you get going to fast and the blade jumps the edge - took a couple of stitches to figure that was worth the money.

I ordered from clean-cut.

But now I'm bummed out.  Their inventory Checker did not state this when I made my $2,000 purchase!

Screenshot_20190709-130557.png

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Ditto. Adjust for the ideal blade depth is such a pain to me, so instead, I adjust force, speed, and if necessary - multiple cuts, to get the job done. The only time I change the blade, is if I think it's time for a new 60* blade to go it :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, it is 3 days late,  while your waiting, download a demo of Vinyl Master and start learning it.  Download the Titan user manual and read it. There is plenty that you can do until it gets here.   How do you intend to apply the application/masking tape?  Get that set up and ready. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Yeah, it is 3 days late,  while your waiting, download a demo of Vinyl Master and start learning it.  Download the Titan user manual and read it. There is plenty that you can do until it gets here.   How do you intend to apply the application/masking tape?  Get that set up and ready. 

Very disappointing though. Of course the 12th is Friday so that means I won't see it till probably the end of the following week...

Yeah I've been wondering about the application tape (masking?). Do I need some kind of dispenser? Is that necessary? I'm sure my husband can build me one easily w a big dowel.  And I need my work surface / table. I already downloaded signblazer and VM cut. I plan on buying VM Pro at that discount price of $299. But I can play with the other options first.  Already read the Titan manual. There wasn't much to it. But I'll keep it on hand. Anything else you can think of? 

Personally I have several different sizes of app tape.    I sell a lot of different sized items. But my niche' is very large decals.   24" is only 1 size.   I keep 6"  9" 12" 15" 18" 24" and 30"  So that I am not wasting it.   I buy my Main medium tack paper app tape from a dealer in Michigan. I day ship for me.  I buy their 48" log, and they slit it free to the sizes that I want. I love the Main tape. I can get a 48" log for $147 with free shipping. I used to use Rtape years ago until I got a roll of Main tape. I switched all of my sizes to Main brand.   They don't sell them any more but I use a Mask-rite tape applicator  I have a 24" and a 30"   I think Uscutter sells  some kind of tape applicator for 24" and under.

Most of the items that I buy from UScutter come from the Memphis warehouse. So 2 day ship.   I live in Indiana

1 hour ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Personally I have several different sizes of app tape.    I sell a lot of different sized items. But my niche' is very large decals.   24" is only 1 size.   I keep 6"  9" 12" 15" 18" 24" and 30"  So that I am not wasting it.   I buy my Main medium tack paper app tape from a dealer in Michigan. I day ship for me.  I buy their 48" log, and they slit it free to the sizes that I want. I love the Main tape. I can get a 48" log for $147 with free shipping. I used to use Rtape years ago until I got a roll of Main tape. I switched all of my sizes to Main brand.   They don't sell them any more but I use a Mask-rite tape applicator  I have a 24" and a 30"   I think Uscutter sells  some kind of tape applicator for 24" and under.

Most of the items that I buy from UScutter come from the Memphis warehouse. So 2 day ship.   I live in Indiana

thats good to know.  do you mean something like this?  terrible...I used to own a machine that split rolls.  i got it from a Boeing surplus sale.  i had no use for it at the time and got rid of it.

ST0000-0007 Nekoosa Perfectear 575 Application Tape - 48"
$134.40

18 minutes ago, stickchick said:

thats good to know.  do you mean something like this?  terrible...I used to own a machine that split rolls.  i got it from a Boeing surplus sale.  i had no use for it at the time and got rid of it.

ST0000-0007 Nekoosa Perfectear 575 Application Tape - 48"
$134.40

Yes NEKOOSA  took over Main.  .    That looks like a Signwarehouse ad.   They will add shipping to that ad,   I doubt they slit it for FREE. 

I have never heard of PRESTO tape.  And I don't use High tack tape.   I have been using Main tape for over 10 years.   I am VERY happy with it.  But that is my supplier in Michigan.  But figuring the shipping on their site, It would cost me more money.  I buy from their site on EBAY.   "We will slit any size roll to your specs at no extra charge to you."