Sign in to follow this  
stickchick

im sure this is new topic.... help deciding on machine

Car wraps? Highly unlikely. Car wraps are Printed.

Do more research on this.

The 24" Titan2 linked above will suffice for basically everything you can throw at it.

Too much overthinking this. Same as most newbies, actually. We've been down this same road countless times. It's NOT a "new topic" for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

wraps are generally placed on the car and trimmed there - and will require a solvent or latex printer and laminator - around $20,000 - - if you go that route just get the roland printer cutter all in one even though you probably won't be cutting any wrap material printed on it

Ok i get it.  Im not investing 20k anytime soon.  So i guess im finally decided on 24" graphtec.  A 28" titan3 only takes 24" rolls anyway, and it sounds like i will just never have a use for a 54" machine.  Now to decide which deal/package.  Some come w heat press, some come w supplies, etc...  All versions seem to be right about $1800.  I just want to make sure theres not some fineprint and i get something i didnt want.  24" graphtec = servo motor 450g, ARMS, stand.  Am i missing anything?  Would be nice to find basket included. 

Thx

• Like 1

Many people made their own baskets for the Graphtecs.  I know there are pictures posted on the forums.   You can buy them from Graphtec but quite expensive.   Years back UScutter was ditching the PCUT cutters, and I picked up a Stand with the basket and zip tied it a Graphtec CE5000-60.    Worked fine.  

If you have skills , might be able to make one of these one work

https://www.uscutter.com/Catch-Basket-for-LaserPoint-II-Vinyl-Cutters

https://www.uscutter.com/Catch-Basket-for-SC2-Vinyl-Cutter

• Like 1

home made catch basket I made for one of my ce5000's  - sure it would fit the 6000 but it was in the way and got put in a corner years ago - but if you want one it is easy to make

P2210278.JPG

• Like 1

Now we're discussing catch baskets and heat presses!

I gotta get out of this thread before MY head explodes.

See ya.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Now we're discussing catch baskets and heat presses!

I gotta get out of this thread before MY head explodes.

See ya.

slice go have a pina colada for me - too hectic at my house to get one :D

53 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

slice go have a pina colada for me - too hectic at my house to get one :D

Literally just had 4 on the beautiful beach @ Wild Dunes Resort where i live! (now im bragging). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stickchick said:

Literally just had 4 on the beautiful beach @ Wild Dunes Resort where i live! (now im bragging). 

5 weeks since last vacation and 123 days till next - I am so ready to go now.  met a guy on a transatlantic last fall that had been gone from home 8 months and had at least 5 more months before he was going home  - just jumping from cruise to cruise with a few days between here and there -  - - - I admired that guy :)

Places like this keep me working so I can go to more of them

DSCN0364.JPG

8 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

5 weeks since last vacation and 123 days till next - I am so ready to go now.  met a guy on a transatlantic last fall that had been gone from home 8 months and had at least 5 more months before he was going home  - just jumping from cruise to cruise with a few days between here and there -  - - - I admired that guy :)

Places like this keep me working so I can go to more of them

DSCN0364.JPG

I live on a barrier island in Charleston SC.  I NEVER go on vacation.  We r too chill in Charleston.  We live at a different pace here!  Probably wont make but a couple decals a week.:)

• Like 1

That is living on island time - you live much longer!

Island time = it happens when it happens be it dinner, doing something, etc - how we were meant to live.

unfortunately for too many years my life more resembled the alabama song "I'm in a hurry to get things done"   - I am recovering :)

I can appreciate you live in a great place, but I want to see so many different places - I have extended way beyond my comfort zone the past few years and so glad I did.

2 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

home made catch basket I made for one of my ce5000's  - sure it would fit the 6000 but it was in the way and got put in a corner years ago - but if you want one it is easy to make

Nice job! What material did you make the "basket" out of?

1 minute ago, pawdell said:

Nice job! What material did you make the "basket" out of?

I cheated on that one - a local upholster shop had the material used under couches etc and said it was anti static.   I was concerned with introducing any more static electricity into the environment around my plotter

14 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

That is living on island time - you live much longer!

Island time = it happens when it happens be it dinner, doing something, etc - how we were meant to live.

unfortunately for too many years my life more resembled the alabama song "I'm in a hurry to get things done"   - I am recovering :)

I can appreciate you live in a great place, but I want to see so many different places - I have extended way beyond my comfort zone the past few years and so glad I did.

Yeah i do get out time to time, for the more exotic travel, but everyday vacation-- i never can think of any place stateside to go.  Im sure there is, i just like where i live. 

• Like 1

check out Alaska, Rome, Portugal, Copenhagen,  - hoping within 2 years to report on Australia, bora bora, tahiti, new zealand, maybe china or japan - no idea what is in store as I go where the deals can be found and see if it is anywhere I would go back - those first 4 I definitely would go back to 

back to the subject now:
If on an island how would you keep a solvent printer busy enough so you wouldn't be replacing heads all the time (I know you said you wouldn't soon because of money but since you mentioned it as a future possibility)  will you order smaller rolls of everything so the vinyl stays fresh?   knowing what your target market is helps to offer suggestions on materials etc.

6 hours ago, stickchick said:

Ok i get it.  Im not investing 20k anytime soon.  So i guess im finally decided on 24" graphtec. 

... Am i missing anything?  Would be nice to find basket included. 

Thx

The 6000 cannot easily cut out objects (as I found out AFTER the fact). You can, but you'd need a cutting mat/carrier which appears to be a consumable, itself. The FC8600 allows this feature, though.

36 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I cheated on that one - a local upholster shop had the material used under couches etc and said it was anti static.   I was concerned with introducing any more static electricity into the environment around my plotter

Thanks. Now my wife wants to know why I keep looking under our furniture.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, pawdell said:

The 6000 cannot easily cut out objects (as I found out AFTER the fact). You can, but you'd need a cutting map/carrier which appears to be a consumable, itself. The FC8600 allows this feature, though.

This vinyl cutter can cut "objects" just fine.  The primary use of a vinyl cutter is to cut vinyl, with a backing paper. Which is what the sign world is all about.  Designs, text etc. HTV for shirts and other vinyl with backing paper.  You wanted to cut whatever you were cutting all the way thru to the teflon cutting strip.  That is not the use of a regular  Graphtec CE6000-60 vinyl cutter. A regular vinyl cutter will cut sign vinyl, for designs and text, plus other vinyls with backing paper.   Any vinyl cutter will cut "objects" just fine.  For Much more money the only cutter out there with the groove for cutting, all the way thru the vinyl without a carrier sheet is the Graphtec FC8600 and lower models of FC vinyl cutters. 

31 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

This vinyl cutter can cut "objects" just fine.  The primary use of a vinyl cutter is to cut vinyl, with a backing paper. Which is what the sign world is all about.  Designs, text etc. HTV for shirts and other vinyl with backing paper.  You wanted to cut whatever you were cutting all the way thru to the teflon cutting strip.  That is not the use of a regular  Graphtec CE6000-60 vinyl cutter. A regular vinyl cutter will cut sign vinyl, for designs and text. For Much more money the only cutter out there with the groove for cutting without a carrier sheet is the Graphtec FC8600 and lower models of FC vinyl cutters. 

All your information is easy to grasp after getting the cutter. Perhaps Graphtec should clarify this better (for me, at least) with the manual they have to download for the CE6000 Plus. It shows a dual holder mount - one position to cut. BTW, just trying to point this out to the OP, just in case it may matter to them. Also, the mount shown in the downloaded manual is not the mount included with mine.

Screenshot from 2019-07-06 19-01-03.png

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

check out Alaska, Rome, Portugal, Copenhagen,  - hoping within 2 years to report on Australia, bora bora, tahiti, new zealand, maybe china or japan - no idea what is in store as I go where the deals can be found and see if it is anywhere I would go back - those first 4 I definitely would go back to 

back to the subject now:
If on an island how would you keep a solvent printer busy enough so you wouldn't be replacing heads all the time (I know you said you wouldn't soon because of money but since you mentioned it as a future possibility)  will you order smaller rolls of everything so the vinyl stays fresh?   knowing what your target market is helps to offer suggestions on materials etc.

Yeah ive done Italy, France, alaska, mehico, etc.  Love some Florence Italy.... 

But my target will be boat graphics.  Super big boat scene here.  Its exploding.  Everyone owns a yacht it seems like.  Or a fancy 42' center console w an apartment below deck.  They need vinyl.  My husbands biz is boats and he has been outsourcing so much of this he decided to put me in biz.  I see logos, names, and registration numbers.  Easy stuff so far, but we notice the big sportfish boats w real graphics on the stern.  Multi color, outlines, shadows, etc.  There are surely some that are even printed bc they arent just solid colors but all kinds of gimmicks like wood grain letters, cartoon looking stuff, etc.  And its all big.  Picture the stern of a 60' Hatteras.  The canvas could be 15x6 (not good w measurements yet).  So this may be reason for me to go w a big machine.  But to graduate to this market, what other equipment will i need?  I think this is the ultimate goal, everything boats, yachts, sportfish, etc.  Since this is our main biz for 20 years.  Im just out of the workforce for 8 years and still have a 2 yo at home, so this is something i might be able to do and compliment my husband's biz. 

• Like 1

You would have to get permission from the owner, to do any type of copyrighted work, Like boat brand names etc.  Creating logos without permission is copyright/trademark infringement. 

Stuff like this is what I really want to do.  I even see the big sportfish boats w the whole stern fake wood planks... 

download.jpeg

download (1).jpeg

Electric_Bill.jpg

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You would have to get permission from the owner, to do any type of copyrighted work, Like boat brand names etc.  Creating logos without permission is copyright/trademark infringement. 

No, i mean names that u name your personal boat...like u name a pet 

Artemis   and Charleston are not cut at the same time.    On the Renegade,  Charleston 2 lines.  those 4 lines and be cut 2 lines at a time.  It really depends on how tall those letters are,  Same with Renegade.   You need to do your home work and do measuring of what the text is on boats and make your own choice for a vinyl cutter. .  Your husband should be able to tell you that.  He orders them all the time, you state.  You should be talking with him on what type of decals he wants you to do. 

26 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Artemis   and Charleston are not cut at the same time.    On the Renegade,  Charleston 2 lines.  those 4 lines and be cut 2 lines at a time.  It really depends on how tall those letters are,  Same with Renegade.   You need to do your home work and do measuring of what the text is on boats and make your own choice for a vinyl cutter. .  Your husband should be able to tell you that.  He orders them all the time, you state.  You should be talking with him on what type of decals he wants you to do. 

Yes he orders lots, but not for the big boats.  He mainly works on trailerable boats 22-30'.  Which have so far been simple one color lettering & logos (customers so far have provided files for logos).  But if we are going to do this, i want to make sure we can service this Sportfish/yacht market.  If i can do all of my small boats and most of my big boats (multiple lines) w a 24" machine, GREAT! But guess i need to do more research on stuff like the billfish in the middle of "Electric Bill".  I have no clue what machinery is required to produce full color drawings.  I assume some type of printer in conjunction w an ARMS cutter?  

I know yall r ready to kill me...