Sign in to follow this  
Dirt Hero

Acquiring Branded Logo Templates

Hi. I 'm new to the forums and the decal business. As we are in the stages of drawing a business plan, I am looking to find out how a decal company can acquire branded logo templates. We are looking to work within the motocross space with our own designs, but also offering branded decals legitimately. For example, Fox is a big player in this space with a number of branded decals that come on their parts. Often, riders will want to change the decal coloring to match the bike color or helmet color in lieu of the standard Fox decals. What is the best way to get these templates from such companies like Fox? Is the a license or royalty play? 

You pretty much have to pay thousands and thousands of dollars to get licenses from big names like Fox, or we would all be doing it.  Plus you have to guarantee that you can sell x amount of decals I mean $$$$$$   this kind of money, Most of these companies already have sold licenses to big graphics companies and they are printed decals.  It is done as mass production.  They have contracts already with manufactures. All decals would also have to be done to  say FOX specs.   Everything approved by FOX.  Not just some off  the wall decal you want to do.   I am talking like $50,000 plus to get a license.  

• Like 2

I appreciate the input. To be clear, we are not interested in creating our own designs using Fox branding and trying to get approval. We simply wanted to work with their existing templates if possible. I figured it was a license play. Is there a work-around? What are the consequences of recreating the artwork and selling? Because I do see a few decal companies, small operations that likely can't afford license fees,  offering a pretty robust line of Fox decals for other products in their lineup, such as mountain bike parts. However, it seems most of those companies are located overseas. 

6 minutes ago, Dirt Hero said:

I appreciate the input. To be clear, we are not interested in creating our own designs using Fox branding and trying to get approval. We simply wanted to work with their existing templates if possible. I figured it was a license play. Is there a work-around? What are the consequences of recreating the artwork and selling? Because I do see a few decal companies, small operations that likely can't afford license fees,  offering a pretty robust line of Fox decals for other products in their lineup, such as mountain bike parts. However, it seems most of those companies are located overseas. 

Here is a good thread to show some of the risk - we never heard the final outcome I am sure because of a none disclosure agreement on the final settlement but it started at $15,000 for one small bumper sticker size decal . .   .   

Using any art work of theirs, without permission is called Copyright Infringement.  Fox and most any other big name have lawyers looking everywhere for their logos being sold.  They pay lawyers just for that, to protect their name.  You probably could not afford 1 day in court,  . There is so much theft of copyrighted logos, that now the Home Land Security is involved. It is considered Counterfeiting.  FOX takes  protecting their products very seriously and welcome any report of their logo being used with out a license.  It's not a matter of whether you will be caught, it's a matter of when. 

fox.JPG

It's your business and your life.  We can only tell our opinion, or experiences on the subject. What you do with that is up to you.  I am done here.   There is no work  around for theft.   Theft is theft. 

• Like 1

That is why I am here and I am grateful for the feedback. I have zero interest in stealing. It was a logical question from a new user. I did NOT say I planned to recreate the artwork, I merely posed a hypothetical "what if" question. There are quite a few places out there offering branded decals and I am trying to get an understanding on the matter. As my original post says, we will offer them "legitimately". 

14 minutes ago, Dirt Hero said:

That is why I am here and I am grateful for the feedback. I have zero interest in stealing. It was a logical question from a new user. I did NOT say I planned to recreate the artwork, I merely posed a hypothetical "what if" question. There are quite a few places out there offering branded decals and I am trying to get an understanding on the matter. As my original post says, we will offer them "legitimately". 

If you wanted to do it legitimately,  you could have just gone to FOX and asked or read their info. It is their logo after all.    

48 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

If you wanted to do it legitimately,  you could have just gone to FOX and asked or read their info. It is their logo after all.    

I thought you were done here. I guess not until you get your condescending remark in. 

Just for the record, I was offering an Uber brand hat on eBay (I had ONE extra that I made and figured someone could use it since I switched over to Lyft )

Well, my ebay acount was suspended almost immediately!

Take that anecdote and make of it what you will.

20 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Just for the record, I was offering an Uber brand hat on eBay (I had ONE extra that I made and figured someone could use it since I switched over to Lyft )

I get that eBay did that. But it's interesting that they suspended you when there are literally hundreds, probably thousands, of other sellers that infringe copyrights. Decals, t-shirts, DVDs, CD's, etc.

5 minutes ago, haumana said:

I get that eBay did that. But it's interesting that they suspended you when there are literally hundreds, probably thousands, of other sellers that infringe copyrights. Decals, t-shirts, DVDs, CD's, etc.

Ebay has a VERO program,  The rights owner has to complain to get it down.  Rights owner contacts EBAY, and EBAY has to take it down.   The owners have already proven to EBAY what is their products before this.   There is a VERO list of owners on Ebay pages. 

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing-and-marketing/verified-rights-owner-program.html#what-is-the-vero-program

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/selling-policies/intellectual-property-vero-program?id=4349

First link, If you click on the    VeRO         
participant profiles

Google gives Copyright lawyers the best tool there is.  Google reverse image search, and it's FREE.  Logos can be found on ANY site. 

48 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Good to know. I would be selling direct to consumers from my website. 

23 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Using any art work of theirs, without permission is called Copyright Infringement.  Fox and most any other big name have lawyers looking everywhere for their logos being sold.  They pay lawyers just for that, to protect their name.  You probably could not afford 1 day in court,  . There is so much theft of copyrighted logos, that now the Home Land Security is involved. It is considered Counterfeiting.  FOX takes  protecting their products very seriously and welcome any report of their logo being used with out a license.  It's not a matter of whether you will be caught, it's a matter of when. 

fox.JPG

This refers far more to their manufactured parts than it does to decals, where counterfeit parts could get a rider injured or killed. And please do not presume to anything about what I can or cannot afford.

23 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

It's your business and your life.  We can only tell our opinion, or experiences on the subject. What you do with that is up to you.  I am done here.   There is no work  around for theft.   Theft is theft. 

Yes a forum should be about sharing experiences and opinions, respectfully. Drop the drama and the hostility. 

22 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I have reached out to Fox and waiting to hear back. I also reached out to several other smaller brands, two of which requested to see mockup samples. So maybe you don't know everything? 

1 hour ago, Dirt Hero said:

This refers far more to their manufactured parts than it does to decals, where counterfeit parts could get a rider injured or killed. And please do not presume to anything about what I can or cannot afford.

Yes a forum should be about sharing experiences and opinions, respectfully. Drop the drama and the hostility. 

I have reached out to Fox and waiting to hear back. I also reached out to several other smaller brands, two of which requested to see mockup samples. So maybe you don't know everything? 

let us know what you find out - - - - brands protect their images on decals, apparel,  hardgoods like mugs, cups etc,  and on products because they make a substantial amount of money from that branding.

sounds like you know all you need to know and nothing more for us to ad . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1