Sign in to follow this  
Jmilla22

Graphtec Registration Mark Question

We are looking to use our Graphtec plotter to trim application tape that we have applied over a graphic. Has anyone done this? The workflow would be to have the plotter cut reg marks in the same size/location as if there were printed. We would than weed the graphic and leave behind the plotted registration marks. (see attached photo for example) When we have tried this, we can never get the arms sensor to consistently read the plotted reg marks. Is there any reason why the ARMS sensor would only be only to read registration marks that have been printed? Is this even possible?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Plotted REG Marks.JPG

We are trying to have the plotter do a perimeter cut around the decal with the curves and round edges. This cannot be easily done with a trimmer or shear. The blade would only be set up to cut the application tape, not the backing paper. 

Well, then that will be your experiment then.   Tell us how it works out for you. I have nothing more to add.   I do not do contour cutting. 

2 strikes from my standpoint - I wouldn't try to cut the application tape on a plotter and I wouldn't use clear application tape.

give us an update on your progress as you work thru it . . . .

2 hours ago, Jmilla22 said:

We are trying to have the plotter do a perimeter cut around the decal with the curves and round edges. This cannot be easily done with a trimmer or shear. The blade would only be set up to cut the application tape, not the backing paper. 

Is there a reason for the curved/rounded edges? It already looks like your blade is cutting into the backing. If you're only looking to cut the app tape, that means, at some point, you will still need to use a scissors to cut the decal out - don't bother with the machine cutting the app tape for you. Just cut a thin boarder weeding box, to the shape you want, tape it up, cut it with a scissors and follow the line of the weed box. I've never had to do fancy cutting on a decal that's basically a rectangle, but if I had to do some contour cutting with the app tape on, that's how I would do it.

I think OP is trying to precut the decal with transfer tape applied to make it easier for customers. I.e. back windows for Jeep, 4runner, etc. Check the reflective material on that clear transfer tape as that may cause reading issue. Glare is the biggest issue with the sensor.... turn off the lights, use a sharpie and color over the marks, etc.  If that doesn't work, 1. check your settings for minimum distance on registration marks to the edge of the vinyl, 2. amount of force the rollers need to move the decal with the weight of transfer paper, 3. Are there marks straight? 4. Calibrate the sensor. 

You would need a carrier sheet to hold the flag in place after the contour cut/perf cut. Plus it will save the cutting strip, but they are cheap to replace and from the sound it, you do perf cut so you maybe used to replacing as strips.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:35 AM, Jmilla22 said:

The OP stated s/he just wanted to cut through the app tape and not the backing. I could totally understand wanting to cut it all the way through - that would save me some serious time too, but would just torture my cutting strip to no end.