Sign in to follow this  
Imaprinter

High School Graphic Arts class in need of suggestion

HI, I have a modern Graphic Arts Vocational class that was once offset printing and has become digital printing and graphic design.  I recently got the thumbs up to purchase a device for die cutter paper (to help teach package design), vinyl . . . And whatever else would enhance our program and better prepare students.  I personally have purchased 2 cameo tabletops, but now the school is buying and they considerably deeper pockets then me.

Honestly paper die cutting is more important to my class then vinyl.  But I also know vinyl is more applicable to business and industry.  It seems there are also application with screen printing and sublimation.  

I have never die cut for screen printing and I know nothing about sublimation (but if it helps my students I am willing to learn).

I need 3 different quotes, but I also MUST know it is the right machine, because purchasing at school never gives you a second chance.  Also if I keep buying for my class I will end up divorced, so I very much would appreciate some good, easy to understand recommendations.  I appreciate anyone’s assistance.

I need 3 different quotes...

Here's the thing, there is just one source for a USCutter machine --  USCutter.
There are similar units offered by other companies, but not the exact same models as featured by USCutter.
If you go to the Graphtec level of equipment, those are sold by various retailers.

You don't mention the budget the school is authorizing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Imaprinter said:

HI, I have a modern Graphic Arts Vocational class that was once offset printing and has become digital printing and graphic design.  I recently got the thumbs up to purchase a device for die cutter paper (to help teach package design), vinyl . . . And whatever else would enhance our program and better prepare students.  I personally have purchased 2 cameo tabletops, but now the school is buying and they considerably deeper pockets then me.

Honestly paper die cutting is more important to my class then vinyl.  But I also know vinyl is more applicable to business and industry.  It seems there are also application with screen printing and sublimation.  

I have never die cut for screen printing and I know nothing about sublimation (but if it helps my students I am willing to learn).

I need 3 different quotes, but I also MUST know it is the right machine, because purchasing at school never gives you a second chance.  Also if I keep buying for my class I will end up divorced, so I very much would appreciate some good, easy to understand recommendations.  I appreciate anyone’s assistance.

Let me first start off by thanking you for teaching our youth.

I think you probably need to look into a laser cutter.   Product packaging is designed , printed and cut out in mass quantities. They are cut out using die cutters which stamp out hundreds in a short period of time.  With the kids, they will only be doing a few of each design.  The laser cutter will work great for that purpose. 

Then you can put in a request for a flatbed printer to print on the cardboard stock. lol

With a vinyl cutter there is software that is specific to  vinyl cutting.  With a laser cutter, the students can learn cad and cam software and also running G code.   With this knowledge, it could lead to other careers such as CNC or architecture if a student so chooses. 

Autodesk has a program called Fusion 360 which I believe is free to students. 

However I'm sorry to say, I can't recommend any brand of laser cutters.

• Like 2