Scratchthejeepguy

Pallet board stencilling

I've done stenciling on wood signs before and they've turned out great.  Here's my process: I paint the board,  and once it's dry  I apply the vinyl stencil. Then I paint the board again with the background color.  Then once that's dry I paint the topcoat color. Once dry I peel off the vinyl and I have nice sharp, crisp lines with no bleed through underneath the edges of the vinyl.

But with pallet boards I don't know how to do the seams of the pallet boards. I feel like if I use spray paint it will work good since the top coat will go straight on and won't get under the vinyl too much, but I think I remember having problems with the spray paint causing the vinyl to shrink.

What's the best way to do this, I have attached some pictures of the places that I expect to have problems. 

IMG_9875.JPG

IMG_9876.JPG

• Like 1

Well, nobody seem to know a good answer for this and since I need to have it done by tomorrow morning, I decided just to try figuring it out myself. I did watch some YouTube videos but nobody covered the pallet seam issue. I think the main problem is that this pallet board has the edges of the boards beveled. If you flip it over the edges are not beveled and I wouldn't be having this problem. But it's too late now  

I pushed the vinyl down as best I could  on the beveled seams, then did my basecoat, then topcoat. After it dried I peeled off the vinyl and there was some ugliness in the seams, so I got a toothpick and some gray basecoat paint and touched them up. It doesn't look perfect but it's pretty good still. I'll know not to use pallet boards with beveled seams anymore.

Here's a finished pic;

IMG_9877.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it looks awesome. Thank you for sharing your process!

• Like 3

I think it adds a little character to it having the paint go down into the seams a little like that. Looks great!

• Like 2

Thanks for the compliments.

From the videos I've watched, a lot of them made a point to mention that the key to vinyl stencils was very little paint.  I wonder if an airbrush would work?  I think I remember that they put out a very light dry coat as it was going on.  I think I still have one somewhere, maybe I'll dig it out and try it. 

Of course as long as I don't use boards with beveled edges, I should be ok.

• Like 1

I do a little bit of work with pallets and usually just rip down the edges to get ride of that seam.

What I do is paint the base coat again over the stencil very lightly and then 3 very light top costs.

But I think the point of the pallet boards is to get something more rustic and not perfect.

• Like 2