Sign in to follow this  
speeddemon47000

How to get started on Motorsport jobs?

Hello, I have been involved with motorsports my whole life and have always had an itch to do my own vinyl / lettering / graphics.  I thought the best way to start was with a middle of the road cutter and figure out what level of software I need.  Playing with a demo version of Vinylmaster LTR, I can't seem to produce numbers that look like "racing" numbers.  I'd like to get a crash course on getting started but couldn't find any "sticky" threads with info.

first step it to find a font YOU like - then the race car people usually add some slant to it.   years ago I know a lot of people used variants of letterhead graphics convecta font but there are hundreds that you can choose from - -  

What's the best level of Vinylmaster to go with for this application?  I have been playing around with LTR but cannot seem to replicate the "thickened" numbers that are pushed together like racing guys often do.  I stumbled across a couple sites that after racing number templates on https://schoolofracinggraphics.com/products/vector-racing-graphics/vector-racing-number-sets/.  Is it possible to replicate these styles on VM??

I haven't played with the lower levels much but adjusting kerning and adding a black outline looks like the ones in your photos - this is a learning process -  you have to learn whatever software you use.  you might look thru some of the fonts at dafont to get an idea of what fonts you might like - many professionals use purchased fonts like convecta or similar and modify for their own style etc

• Like 1

You might also try FREE Inkscape.org for designing. Then import the .eps file into your cutting software.   Inkscape has many, many free tutorials.

• Like 3