haumana

Strange usage question.

So I recently acquired a used SUV that has a panoramic sunroof. The cloth shade that is supposed to help block direct sunlight is broken. Yes, I knew it was broken when I bought the SUV, so no flaming please.

Anyway - My work around is to either tint, with multiple layers until it sufficiently blocks enough sun ... or - just stick vinyl, and go for total opacity (which I'm leaning towards). That being said, any recommendation as to what vinyl I should be using? I really only have easy access to Oracal stuff, but am willing to ship something in if it's really better for this use. Keep in mind that I live in Hawaii, and the sun gets hot, and my SUV will most like be roasting in the sun all day, everyday :(

Any input would be much appreciated.

I used to have a back window "tint" film that was regular black vinyl with thousands of small holes in it.  It blocked the sun extremely well but still let in light and you could sort of see through it from the driver's seat.  I've seen some fast food restaurants use something similar for printed window ads, I think they call it "window perf."  The point I was getting to was, why not cut some tiny details in the vinyl to allow in a bit of light and add some style.

• Like 2

There is what's called Limo Tint.  Most window tint installers have it or can get it .  It only lets in about 5% of the sun's light.

• Like 3

wonder if just laying 751 white on it and trimming around that would be cooler for you - does the tint cause any more heat since it really doesn't reflect light?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dakotagrafx said:

wonder if just laying 751 white on it and trimming around that would be cooler for you - does the tint cause any more heat since it really doesn't reflect light?

Some where I heard that putting vinyl over an entire window that's out in the sun can cause the glass to crack.  Something about heat and expansion.

It was mentioned in a thread ,that a customer wanted to cover his store windows with vinyl.  Of course the question was asked, "Why would you want to do that, what about security"?

Window perf was brought up also. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

That's what I was kind of wondering too. The interior is already noticeably hotter because there is no insulation of any kind.

• Like 3

Mahalo for all your input. Decisions, decisions!

• Like 2

Window glass (vehicular) is pretty gnarly stuff I bet it wouldn't break.

• Like 1

Can you find one of those side window shades that stick on to the windows for babies and make that fit?

• Like 1

I was going to mention but someone earlier said window perf. Anything that is reflective will make it feel less hot, I'd recommend a one-side (mirrored) window film! Best of luck.

10 minutes ago, Fantasea-Media said:

I was going to mention but someone earlier said window perf. Anything that is reflective will make it feel less hot, I'd recommend a one-side (mirrored) window film! Best of luck.

Oh and window tint! Black vinyl that blocks the sun, which would make it noticeably less hot. But cutting holes into it kind of defeats the purpose (replying to ShaneGreen)

The window perf I had was something like 90% solid.  It takes very little "holes" to allow in light and to see out, but you still get the vast majority of the heat reflecting benefits.  It was way better than window tint.

Pretty sure the most opaque perf. 3m makes is the 60/40 . . . Mainly for transit and store fronts.  The stuff I had I believe was 50 percent

This one on my last truck was done with the 60/40 

temp2.jpg

• Like 3

Reflective stuff and heat transfer gets weird. You'd think it'd reflect the light and keep things cooler, and it does to some degree, however, it also reflects the heat inside the car, back into the car. Where as black while it does get hot in the sun, it does not reflect the heat in the car back into the car, so black can actually result in cooler interiors.

huh, go figure. i thought that if anything, black would absorb the heat more, and that heat would get transferred into the interior.

either way, with no insulation from a typical ceiling, it gets hot :(