ilabryant

Laser is not working - No light

I have never understood or used this feature - since I had the cutter.  Actually, the machine has been idle for years.  However, I have tried resetting - holding down reset and the right arrow - I got the 'ok' several times - choose 'on' - but don't get a light (I have attempted it over seven times) - the carriage moves - everything but no light.  

I don't know if the drivers are installed (I have downloaded them but I don't see an executable file, and I don't know which USB Host is related if any to the cutter). I am using SCAL Pro 3 or 5 software and I don't know how to use it to install the drivers- I can print and cut, and cut only - my issue is the laser's light.  I don't remember ever seeing a light.  

So, is there a way you can tell/know if the laser's light is damaged or not working.  Also, which USB Host is related to the cutter - I have at least six options.

Windows XP Professional

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the purpose of the fuse?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you install the drivers?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

We do not know which version of Laserpointer you have.  The first Laserpointer was a CreationPcut with a laser on it.  2nd was a Laserpointer 2 which was made by Liyu. 

The laser is for manual contour cutting.  After you print your design with registration marks,  you jog the carriage head to each printed registration mark and record in your cutting software. You would need a printer that prints on vinyl for that.   Drivers and instructions can be found at the UScutter.com website under SUPPORT.

Fuse> You hope if the cutter gets an electrical charge, that the fuse would blow and not hurt the vinyl cutter. 

• Like 1

If do not need to contour cut, then you don't need the laser dot.

To know which USB comm port you should be using, check your device manager in control panel, expand the USB stack and right click for properties on the one that  your machine appears to be connected to, and that should tell you which com port windows assigned to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

We do not know which version of Laserpointer you have.  The first Laserpointer was a CreationPcut with a laser on it.  2nd was a Laserpointer 2 which was made by Liyu. 

The laser is for manual contour cutting.  After you print your design with registration marks,  you jog the carriage head to each printed registration mark and record in your cutting software. You would need a printer that prints on vinyl for that.   Drivers and instructions can be found at the UScutter.com website under SUPPORT.

Fuse> You hope if the cutter gets an electrical charge, that the fuse would blow and not hurt the vinyl cutter. 

On top of that if memory serves me correctly about every old post about the laser had problems getting the offset from the laser dot to the actual blade to align and most everyone ended up just using the actual blade to align the points like the rest of the manual set ups do. I always felt the laser was a sales gimmick. 

• Thanks 1

US Cutter Laserpointer 2.

-------------------------------------------

Drivers - I looked at every USB Host port - and I did not see the name of my cutter related to either port.   I have downloaded the drivers - but I still don't know how to install them.  I guess I could uninstall each USB Host port and see if the drivers will install.  However, you would think if the drivers are not installed the cutter would not work, correct?

----------------------------------------

Contour cutting - I understand printing the registration marks - and jogging over to each mark - but you can't truly tell if you are directly on the mark.  Also, must you do this each time you want to contour cut a project?

--------------------------------------

Thanks!!!!

25 minutes ago, ilabryant said:

Contour cutting - I understand printing the registration marks - and jogging over to each mark - but you can't truly tell if you are directly on the mark.  Also, must you do this each time you want to contour cut a project?

Yes that is how the MANUAL contour cutting goes. If you want actual optical eye contour cutting you will have to step up to a cutter that is equipped with an actual optical eye. The optical eye systems will hunt and find the registration marks and do their own alignment and the good ones like Summa, Graphtec, Roland etc... will cut extremely accurately. Mine (the Summa) even has the ability to read additional side points to maintain alignment on long projects so it can make adjustments along the way to compensate for any irregularities that make have happened either in the print process or material shrink/swell during the previous processes. I assume the other brands do similar but I can't confirm that. 

Thanks - I have been on and read, looked at the videos - on both of these sites.  I was just hoping that someone else had the same issue as I do but with a solution.

30 minutes ago, ilabryant said:

Thanks - I have been on and read, looked at the videos - on both of these sites.  I was just hoping that someone else had the same issue as I do but with a solution.

You will not see the name of the cutter beside the com port#.  Unplug it and see which one unplugs.  It should be a Com #.  Look in your computer device manager. Did you download the driver and extract it and run it? You must.  Did you try a different USB cable?  We always advise to put the value cutters on a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter, that is the brand name.  Better connection.   The value cutters have a cheap Chinese chip set in it.  Not TRUE USB like higher end cutters.