Makers720

SVG/ Logo Issue

Hey, guys-

New to game and having some issues with our logo.  I converted it to svg, but having issues when I open it is SCALP, it puts a white box over the MAKERS portion and won't cut MAKERS.  I've tried sending it to the back/moving MAKERS to the front, but no luck.  Any ideas?

diy makers art.svg

diy makers art.pdf

Your svg was a real mess. Attached is a screen shot of it in wireframe mode in Adobe Illustrator. You had a white box over the makers like you figured but needed to use it to knock out the middle section of the saw blade. The blade then needed welded to the two lines that they touch. There were some multiple objects in there so some of the letters would have cut twice. I have no idea what all the other stuff is that is out there on the lower right side. Could be some sort of glitch or something you were working on and forgot or tried to turn off on some other layer. (the layer thing won't work with a cutter btw) I cleaned the svg up for you so you can cut it but you might want to spend some time learning your program. Not sure where you converted your file from as far as where you actually designed it. It's a part of cutting that takes some patience and practice. Don't feel bad about it because we were all there at some point in history. :P

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 10.20.50 PM.png

DIY REV.svg

I'm new to the cutting portion of this and maybe the OP uploaded a fresh version, but I opened diy makers art.svg in Inkscape and did not have "crazy-lines". I'm not sure what software you are using to cut, but this uploaded version is set to the way I would need it for my software to have it cut (on path). I don't know if this helps you or not.

diy makers art.modified.svg

I too opened the OP SVG file in Inkscape, there was some funkyness with the text. There was two letters on top of each other and one set of them were symbols in Inkscape. Which is some how related to clones. So I had to select all the text, unlink it from the clone, then welded it. There was a weird problem with the first A around the saw, the lines overlapped in a couple of placed but when I did the unclone and weld it fixed the problem.

Also, be aware, that the words around the saw blade will not cut the way the look. They will cut as a solid color, if you want a hollow text there's more work that will need to be done.

Attached is my edits to make it cuttable

diy makers art.svg

What program did you use to conver to SVG? I don't know SCALP, but PDF is a vector file and I would expect SCALP to be able to open/import it. So you shouldn't have needed to convert it to SVG.

Thanks, guys! Y’all really don’t know how much this has helped me! 

I had done a rough draft of the logo and the lady helping with my screen printing put it together for me.  I tried to do some work with it.  I may have be the one that left all the other jumbled mess, but it didn’t show on my screen.  

I’ll be honest, I thought I could pick the design/vinyl thing pretty easy but it’s a lot harder than I imagined!  I could get SCALP to convert it (maybe it was an error on my part) but I used an knline converter tool till I can get another program.  

If I want the words around the saw to cut as it shows, what other work would I need to do to it? 

The words had a stroke applied to them. Strokes are a visual thing and do not cut as they look. In order to get a stroke to cut, it has to be converted to a path first. These are the terms used in Inkscape, not sure if the same terms are used in SCALP or not.

Inkscape is a free design program, well worth downloading and playing around with.

It must depend on the software used to send to the cutter. The software I am cutting with takes an Inkscape svg stroke, without making the stroke a path, and the blade just follows the stroke.

Tux Plot. It can use the fill, but not for cutting vinyl. Fill is more like a field operation. That is, if I understand it correctly.

7 hours ago, Makers720 said:

If I want the words around the saw to cut as it shows, what other work would I need to do to it? 

The one I uploaded in my first response names DIY REV should be ready to cut. I got rid of all that other stuff and removed any duplicate items. Some of the weirdness very possibly came through some of the conversions to other file types. 

For those interested I am pretty sure SCALP works natively with vector letters without the need to convert them. I used to have a beta version of it and that was one thing I remember about it.

pawdell - Tux Plot is way off the grid man. That's a Linux compatible program if I remember correctly. I don't know that I have ever even heard it referenced here. 

Yeah - Tux Plot is probably not the most popular program. It has been mentioned in these forum a few times going back nine years. It can send HPGL and GPGL (at least) giving me the flexibility to send speed, downforce, etc from the program. It may even be able to do contour cutting, but I haven't tried that out yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pawdell said:

Yeah - Tux Plot is probably not the most popular program. It has been mentioned in these forum a few times going back nine years. It can send HPGL and GPGL (at least) giving me the flexibility to send speed, downforce, etc from the program. It may even be able to do contour cutting, but I haven't tried that out yet.

I don't think I would want to give up all the creature comforts of my cutting software of choice (SignCut Pro 1) Just too easy ha ha!

4 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

I don't think I would want to give up all the creature comforts of my cutting software of choice (SignCut Pro 1) Just too easy ha ha!

I can imagine. I have three licenses for Graphtec's pro software and I'm not sure if I will ever use them. I don't know (yet?) what I'm missing, but should investigate.

That being said - Tux Plot seems very easy to use. I don't know how it could get any easier - (see above)  :-). Of course, Inkscape helps me get there. It's amazing what it can do for the money. I should donate to Inkscape!

Sorry to go off topic.

Yeah we're way off topic but it's an interesting conversation. I guess the things I'm talking about are things like cut by color and nesting objects when cutting multiple objects for vinyl consumption control, weeding boxes on multiple copies, tiling overlaps and weeding lines etc.... In SC Pro you can select an object or a part of an object and change the color and just cut that item out like if you blew the install and had to recut a part to repair but not the whole thing. Not that I EVER mess up mind you but theoretically :lol: There are just a lot of creature comforts that make short work of some of those things especially helpful when mass producing. 

Ha. Yeah - those features sound great. I'm sure I am missing many features like that. I do have weed box, so, there's that :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pawdell said:

Ha. Yeah - those features sound great. I'm sure I am missing many features like that. I do have weed box, so, there's that :-)

If you are running on Linux that's still pretty amazing. Heck I run on mac and am almost a rarity.