Intheshaw

Wood finish over vinyl

Does anyone have any experience on putting wood finish over vinyl, specifically a water based poly?

I've got a customer who wants a wood sign with the company name on it for outside. Looking to stick vinyl on the wood and coat the entire thing with an outdoor rated polyurethane but I'm not sure if it will stick well.

My other option would be to use paint mask and paint the sign and then coat the whole thing.

I'm leaning towards the poly 'should' work but I don't know for sure. Painting isn't the end of the world but will just take a bit longer.

Thanks!

I've done water-based poly over vinyl once or twice and it worked fine. Another option is to get untinted exterior "Deep base" paint. Key here is untinted. It will go on milky-white, but dry clear and have the same properties as exterior house paint.

• Like 1

I have a little treasure box for my boy that I put a map decal then polyurethane over. It has held up well.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 5:39 PM, darcshadow said:

I have a little treasure box for my boy that I put a map decal then polyurethane over. It has held up well.

Hey darc, is that used/stored outside?  Not many polys will hold up to water & sun.  What type of poly did you use?

I ended up spraying a water based spar urethane over the decal as it will be outside. I'll have to wait and see how well it lasts.

• Like 1