Guest Tom

Stacking Vinyl

Guest Tom

I'm a super newbie, so forgive me if this is a completely dumb question. I'm using the letter M in varsity font to try to make a sticker to apply to a batting helmet. There are three colors in the font. When i cut it basically looks like three Ms in three sizes with solid fills. When i put them on top of eachother, they look good. My question is: It this good practice? Should i be layering thee colors on top of each other, or should they be somehow cut behind each other so each color attaches directly to the helmet with a tiny gap.

ok, after a little googling, it looks like i'm talking about, "slicing", "punching, or "knocking out" Should i do that or just tick them on top of eachother?

It depends on the project and personal preference. If you're happy with the results that's all that really matters.

punching stuff out so that you are not layering the vinyl can make for a smooth finish, but getting things to line up exactly so that there is no gap or overlap can be very tricky and the larger the decal harder it can be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

It depends on the project and personal preference. If you're happy with the results that's all that really matters.

punching stuff out so that you are not layering the vinyl can make for a smooth finish, but getting things to line up exactly so that there is no gap or overlap can be very tricky and the larger the decal harder it can be.

ditto!

If precision is something that's going to be critical - which really depends on how you (or your customer) critiques your work, that may be a deciding factor.

For me, personally, it takes me less time to layer over trying to do an exact application of individually cut color going on one at a time. If you're doing batting helmets, then keep in mind that's an application you'll have to do several times, and not just a one and done thing.

I'd say, test one method out, and then test the other.

• Like 2

I do both .  my first knockout was  hemi decals for the hood on a white dodge truck. he wanted white to show up between the red and black . so instead of layering white vinyl between , I used the knockout option. I think turned out a very clean look

31522915-2666-4390-9D09-D65DAF8ED064.jpeg

94F5FA46-0199-4A8F-ADB5-C635D168D542.jpeg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cardudenc said:

I do both .  my first knockout was  hemi decals for the hood on a white dodge truck. he wanted white to show up between the red and black . so instead of layering white vinyl between , I used the knockout option. I think turned out a very clean look

31522915-2666-4390-9D09-D65DAF8ED064.jpeg

94F5FA46-0199-4A8F-ADB5-C635D168D542.jpeg

There some memories, I got a c&d from them for using the word hemi and a tribal ram that they never used.   

looks great 

Thanks. guess I should take those off. I never thought of that 1. a lot of stuff im up on as far as that bad word that gets us in trouble goes, but still a newbie.

it's all good till you get the letter - so some things just better to spread by word of mouth - - - I sold my last truck with the hemi and tribal ram still on it :)

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.