sjdvn2

Painting Coroplast & Applying Vinyl

Hello all. I've recently started doing some small side work with my 34" cutter I bought for personal use.  I have a client that wants 10 coroplast signs made up.  The problem is he is pretty set on one of 2 things:

Black coroplast signs with metallic silver vinyl,

or

Hi-Vis Yellow/Green corplast signs with black vinyl

I've never had any luck with the metallic/chrome vinyls indoors, I can't imagine them being any better outdoors.  So far, I've had no luck finding a supplier that makes a hi-vis substrate to go with option 2.  I'm trying to figure out what way to go here!

First thought was I could layer fluorescent vinyl over a black/white sign, but none of the fluorescents last very long as far as I can see.

My next thought was to try one of the Krylon Fusion paints to paint the board and vinyl it, but I'm curious if anyone has tried this and how well it held up?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

You stated vinyl in "metallic silver "     Oracal carries metallic silver,   (Color 090) is not chrome.  Lasts many years outside in 651-751-951.  But if your looking for 'mirror chrome,  I use Avery mirror chrome, It is polyester vinyl.  I never have problems with it for outdoor decals. But it has a limit on it, like most polyester vinyls.  But stating coroplast signs , sounds like a temp job. 

Yes, he's just looking for signs to put up on job sites - Roofing Contractor.

I'll look into the metallic silver, I think that's going to be more up his alley!

Since we're on the topic, for a coroplast substrate, I was planning on going with calendared/651 vinyl. Should that be sufficient or will the corrugation make it more worthwhile to go with cast?

coroplast by it's very nature is considered temporary signage material so calendered will work fine with the coro for how long it will last.  with that said the 751 090 does have some slight glitter to it where the 651 090 is more bright silver

Because of circumstances, I have a nearly endless supply of old 4x8 voting signs made of coroplast.  I also have 20 acres of hiking trails, off roading trails and a private gun range that I make signs for, so I use those old signs since they're just for me.  I tried a bunch of different methods of painting the coroplast with not very much luck until I found that if I use Rustoleum's plastic primer first, then plastic paint over that, it seemed to last and not peel off.

But in my case, I could still see some of the screen printed lettering on the voting sign and didn't really like that, so now I just cover the entire sign in whatever vinyl color I want for the background, then layer the vinyl letters over that.  Here is a recycled trail sign covered in brown 651 then white for the lettering.  

55786369_10218017137275256_764873455681142784_n.jpg

• Like 2

I've used flat black vinyl on cloroplast with fluorescent vinyl letters with good luck. 

Just a suggestion,.  If you paint the cloroplast, give the paint enough time to dry.  Some paint will off gas and create air  bubbles under the Vinyl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1