Hi all, question, I have only been cutting vinyl since December, I started out with a Vinyl Express R series and it has served me well. But, we all know it is a low end cutter and that was really all I needed to get my feet wet and sell come vinyl. I am now looking to upgrade and I have a few questions, been looking at the Titan 3 looks good, will it cut letters down to 1/4 inch? My budget is 1500 or so, what is my best option and this will be my last upgrade for a while. So I gotta make it count!!

titan3 would be the next step up but if you wait and save just about 300 more you can get the graphtec ce6000-60   - top notch then and comes with free graphtec pro studio software which is private branded flexi pro that you would spend $2000 for just that software without a cutter . . . . IMHO

• Like 3

Graphtec is worth the wait. You won't be sorry.

• Like 3

titan 2 or 3 is a good machine, but you get a whole lot more for just few hundred more. so a 3rd for graphtec

• Like 4

not trying to hijack the thread :P but im really on the fence about a new cutter also and for the price of a 28inch or whatever graphtec, i can get a 53inch titan 3 maybe 60 inch...i dont get why the graphtec is held so high and is better..like here in the states lets say you have 2 motorcycles both look the same but one says harley davidson..you will pay more for the harley just because of the name

so what really makes graphtec better?

I bought my Graphtec new in 2008, and have NEVER, and I mean never had a problem with it. I cut almost every day and my cutter is original, Same cutting strip and all.  The cuts are great, precise and accurate. The Graphtecs are very well built. The tracking is GREAT. The Graphtecs have more features than the Titans.   The only Titan coming close to a Graphtec is the 28" Titan 3, Which is about $500 less, and it has less features than a Graphtec.   Titan 1 is a stepper, with no contour cutting and the Titan 2 is a servo with manual contour cutting. but we have seen many of the Titans needing new boards in about a year or 2.  You don't see Graphtecs doing that. The Titans have not been out in the field that long like the Graphtecs.  Graphtecs are built with great precision and quality,  They also cut more detailed designs better.  I own 2 Graphtec FC vinyl cutters and would buy another. Because Graphtecs are so great, they hold their  resale value also. I also purchased 2 Graphtec CE5000-60 for my kids, also no problems with them. 

Graphtecs also provide more options in software. For a PC or a Mac, and you can't beat the Graphtec Pro Studio for Windows,  Over a $1000 software. Pretty close to FlexisignPro. FREE. 

If you do need tech support, Graphtec tech support is great also. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I bought my Graphtec new in 2008, and have NEVER, and I mean never had a problem with it. I cut almost every day and my cutter is original, Same cutting strip and all.  The cuts are great, precise and accurate. The Graphtecs are very well built. The tracking is GREAT. The Graphtecs have more features than the Titans.   The only Titan coming close to a Graphtec is the 28" Titan 3, Which is about $500 less, and it has less features than a Graphtec.   Titan 1 is a stepper, with no contour cutting and the Titan 2 is a servo with manual contour cutting. but we have seen many of the Titans needing new boards in about a year or 2.  You don't see Graphtecs doing that. The Titans have not been out in the field that long like the Graphtecs.  Graphtecs are built with great precision and quality,  They also cut more detailed designs better.  I own 2 Graphtec FC vinyl cutters and would buy another. Because Graphtecs are so great, they hold their  resale value also. I also purchased 2 Graphtec CE5000-60 for my kids, also no problems with them. 

Graphtecs also provide more options in software. For a PC or a Mac, and you can't beat the Graphtec Pro Studio for Windows,  Over a $1000 software. Pretty close to FlexisignPro. FREE. 

If you do need tech support, Graphtec tech support is great also. 

i can buy it that the electronics like the board may go out sooner(but with the price gap between the 50+inch machines i could deal with buying a parts here n there)..the main thing is the detailed cuts you speak of? better more precise servo motors? im not trying to say you are wrong i just simply would like to know whats in the graphtec that makes it more precise..not just because theyve been around the block for years but real evidence of why its better..like a few things i cant do, or not do better that the titan 3 se...both vac hold down, both servo, not sure if blade/blade holder is the same

again, im just trying to get info for the OP and myself..more of facts based info not just hear say(not argue lol)

which 50" machine do you think compares to a Graphtec?  Any cheap  50" machine would be a stepper,  Steppers cutters are night and day to a servo.   I used to own a stepper..Servos are much more precise. PERIOD.   We have had people with stepper cutters send us their files for comparison. The details that the Graphtec does to their stepper is night and day. The details of the design are much sharper.   They see the difference once we cut it for them.  We cut their files. The details come out, and they are not so rounded.   I can cut Avery chrome text perfect. down to 0.25 inches. Dakota (Scott has decals posted on here) and Mr300s has decals posted on here, on how small they can cut perfect. Very detailed designs. 

Question?  Why do you think people upgrade to a Graphtec If the cheap stepper cutters are so great?   Several on here have both cutters from upgrading.   I started out with a Seiki.  Plus the Graphtec has guaranteed tracking up to 50 ft.  Most steppers can't even track good at 12ft without drifting off.   The MH is only 8 ft.   Graphtec does not have memory or static problems.  

The Titan 3 only has a max cutting length of 300 inches, compared to my Graphtec at 1968 inches. Graphtecs measure the width of the vinyl and can prefeed the vinyl to any length and back. Those tracks from the pinch rollers make the  tracking straight. Blade holders are different. They are Graphtec style holders and blades. 

Dakota has had both Graphtec and Roland, vinyl cutters.  and has stated many times that the Graphtec is better with details. 

We have always said if you cannot afford the Graphtec, Then get the Titan 2 or 3, because of the servo motors.

My niche' is large vinyl graphics. I can cut 16 ft L x 27" W  detailed decals and never have to worry about running out of memory or tracking on them.  

I can cut stripes as long as I want and know they will be cut straight. Try that with a stepper cutter. 

People have also traded back their Titans and gotten a Graphtec, just the quality of the machine being better built, they notice. How sturdy the machine and stand are.

Most Value cutters are Chinese built vs Graphtecs which are Japanese built.  

My FC cutters can also pounce paper, which I have not seen any other cutter do, as well as it has an automatic cross cutter blade, which cuts the vinyl off after cutting.  Graphtecs can also perf cut, (dotted lines), punch the printed decal out. A Graphtec can be set with 8 different conditions, for cutting different vinyls and materials.

Graphtecs come with the Graphtec Cutting Controller, that runs right from my computer.  You can change all settings and run order after order,(same color vinyl) from the cutting controller, even cutting off the vinyl and starting a new order. Never get out of your chair. .  Any feature the cutter does, you can do it from the controller on the computer.  (FC cutters)  CE cutters do not have the cross cutter blade.. 

I owned one 50" cutter - after trying to weed those and mask them I went back to the 24-30" after that for all my cutters as most signs can be done in more manageable segments even 12' signs have natural areas that can be made smaller except if doing really really large graphics and then can be tiled.  the only reason I would think of a 50" again or bigger would be if I had a latex printer and needed a cutter to contour then I would be looking at the new Rolands because nothing has compared to ease of finding registration marks to my roland print and cut units.    as most of my work is cut vinyl now I still use a graphtec.  choice is yours though as to what you like and really I wouldn't have appreciated the graphtecs as much had I not fought all those stepper motor cutters.  sometimes you just have to learn for yourself

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

which 50" machine do you think compares to a Graphtec?  Any cheap  50" machine would be a stepper,  Steppers cutters are night and day to a servo.   I used to own a stepper..Servos are much more precise. PERIOD.   We have had people with stepper cutters send us their files for comparison. The details that the Graphtec does to their stepper is night and day. The details of the design are much sharper.   They see the difference once we cut it for them.  We cut their files. The details come out, and they are not so rounded.   I can cut Avery chrome text perfect. down to 0.25 inches. Dakota (Scott has decals posted on here) and Mr300s has decals posted on here, on how small they can cut perfect. Very detailed designs. 

Question?  Why do you think people upgrade to a Graphtec If the cheap stepper cutters are so great?   Several on here have both cutters from upgrading.   I started out with a Seiki.  Plus the Graphtec has guaranteed tracking up to 50 ft.  Most steppers can't even track good at 12ft without drifting off.   The MH is only 8 ft.   Graphtec does not have memory or static problems.  

The Titan 3 only has a max cutting length of 300 inches, compared to my Graphtec at 1968 inches. Graphtecs measure the width of the vinyl and can prefeed the vinyl to any length and back. Those tracks from the pinch rollers make the  tracking straight. Blade holders are different. They are Graphtec style holders and blades. 

Dakota has had both Graphtec and Roland, vinyl cutters.  and has stated many times that the Graphtec is better with details. 

We have always said if you cannot afford the Graphtec, Then get the Titan 2 or 3, because of the servo motors.

My niche' is large vinyl graphics. I can cut 16 ft L x 27" W  detailed decals and never have to worry about running out of memory or tracking on them.  

I can cut stripes as long as I want and know they will be cut straight. Try that with a stepper cutter. 

People have also traded back their Titans and gotten a Graphtec, just the quality of the machine being better built, they notice. How sturdy the machine and stand are.

Most Value cutters are Chinese built vs Graphtecs which are Japanese built.  

My FC cutters can also pounce paper, which I have not seen any other cutter do, as well as it has an automatic cross cutter blade, which cuts the vinyl off after cutting.  Graphtecs can also perf cut, (dotted lines), punch the printed decal out. A Graphtec can be set with 8 different conditions, for cutting different vinyls and materials.

Graphtecs come with the Graphtec Cutting Controller, that runs right from my computer.  You can change all settings and run order after order,(same color vinyl) from the cutting controller, even cutting off the vinyl and starting a new order. Never get out of your chair. .  Any feature the cutter does, you can do it from the controller on the computer.  (FC cutters)  CE cutters do not have the cross cutter blade. 

just referring to the which 50 cutter..isnt the titan3 servo?

48 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I owned one 50" cutter - after trying to weed those and mask them I went back to the 24-30" after that for all my cutters as most signs can be done in more manageable segments even 12' signs have natural areas that can be made smaller except if doing really really large graphics and then can be tiled.  the only reason I would think of a 50" again or bigger would be if I had a latex printer and needed a cutter to contour then I would be looking at the new Rolands because nothing has compared to ease of finding registration marks to my roland print and cut units.    as most of my work is cut vinyl now I still use a graphtec.  choice is yours though as to what you like and really I wouldn't have appreciated the graphtecs as much had I not fought all those stepper motor cutters.  sometimes you just have to learn for yourself

im thinking dirt track car size..youd see it patched..nice to have a big verscamm but i have to work up to that

so I will chime back in since I started at the bottom and worked up to a Graphtec. my 1st cutter was  a 53" with a 48" cut , stepper cutter. I still have it, now at my house to be able to do some stuff from there.   I bought it because it was the largest cutter in my newbie budget and not knowing if I would continue or even be able to learn this trade didnt want a lot of $ out there if I gave up. also my 1st job was a sign for g friends store, 3'x12' didnt think it was a good idea with no experience to try tiling. well it took up so much room when I moved into the ft of the shop to be able to cut decals for tourist, a 28" cutter was the ticket. along popped up a ce5000-60 from a friend of a friend. so I guess its 1 of those things you just have to experience to understand the why. now I have several different brand cutters, most being a 28". but did trade for another stepper 53" the other month.  I have it up for sell because I found a 53" servo I have my eye on. I wanna keep a lg servo for the bigger jobs. my plan is to keep buying and selling a few used cutters until ive flipped enough to buy a new 28" servo cutter  right now in the fleet is the us cutter sc model 53" I started with, a seiki 53". an expert 24, another stepper cutter. then the Graphtec ce 5000-60 28" . working a deal on another 1 of those now.  with all the talk and what Ive read up on a summa. I will def keep an eye out for 1 of those used to mess with. that way I will know the difference in pretty much most of the big name brands for when I drop the coin on the new cutter. I feel ive def learned quite a bit messing around with all these different cutters, def what features I feel is a must have that my 1st cutter didn't have.  but I believe  I learned a lot because with it if u didn't have everything set up correctly or double checked a few things, u will b cutting right n to the cutting strip instead of vinyl. I know this because ive done it, where with the Graphtec and even the expert that isn't going happen. now I do have a good friend that swears by his titan 2, but if im not mistaken when I asked him if it would do as my sc model and keep cutting right off the vinyl on to the cutting strip, he said it would.  like a few have mentioned here, the bigger reason of the Graphtec is the quality of the cuts. with all the cutters I have tried, the Graphtec def out does my list of cutters, I guess not a real fair comparison since its my only servo cutter

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, I have read every one of them. I mostly do smaller graphics, nothing more than 12 inches or so high and 2-5 feet long. I was considering the 15 inch since it would be plenty for me, but, after reading the replies I think I will hold out for the Graphtec 24 inch, thank you all for your input!! I have learned a lot using the Vinyl Express cutter, but it is time to upgrade!! 

• Like 4

comparing the titan 3 and the grahtec ce both have the same warranty. just looked at pricing on US web page

titan 3 you get vinyl master cut single license key  $59.99 software                                                              

28" $1295   53" $1595    68"  $1895

Graphtec you get Graphtec pro with 3 license  key  US cutter values it at $2100

right now US has the ce 6000- 60   with a heat press for $1795  

again I haven't used a titan machine yet , so I cant comment on how it cuts.  Personally I would go with the 24" cutter over the 15" , but I started with a 53" and moved dn to the 24" cut for everyday use. of course this is just like the vehicle u drive, its all personal preference. along with the cut & design program u use.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      maybe this post wont create a headache for any1                                                                                                                       

• Like 1