Angie0

summa D60 - any good?

I recently acquired a Summa DuraSign t140, i think? in excellent condition from someone in my area.... and came here in the hopes that I could get some help with choosing a program to use with it (I believe I was told that I need to get my hands on an older pc running windows 7?)   :)  Does that sound familiar to anyone in here? lol

I would really love to get this "work horse" hooked up, I'm running on a super limited, nearly non-existent budget but I need a GOAL AMOUNT so I can begin my journey . . . this procrastinating is getting me nowhere fast. I'm still at point one....my big plotter sitting in my living room...looking at me sadly...  I can have a price for the computer with windows 7 on it with one phone call...and was hoping to verify this is exactly what is needed and a recommendation for any program(s) I will also be wanting to find good deals on. 

Thanks for any help that may come my way!!!

manuals for summa here :  https://www.summa.eu/en/user-manuals

drivers :  https://www.summa.eu/en/vinyl-cutter-downloads

while I am unfamiliar with summa we do have people on here that use them including one of our moderators - I am sure someone will be along to offer more advice
I can't imagine that one of the softwares like vinylmaster (which is windows 10 compatible) signblazer or the plug in for corel draw wouldn't get you going but will let someone with summa experience comment on that

I have the Summa D60 that I run with Flexisign.  I have had the Summa for at least 10 years and have had only one problem.  That was a power supply that went bad.  it was probably my fault because I use to leave the power on for long periods of time.  I did find a replacement power supply and it's been running great ever since.

I have no experience with other programs but can imagine the cutter will run fine with something different and windows 10.

That being said the Summa is a great vinyl cutter, they track very well and can cut very detailed designs.  

The title of this thread is D60 but in the original post you mention a T140.  These are two different cutters. the t140 being tangential which is even better than the D60's drag knife design.

Dakota gave you links to the Summa site for manuals and drivers.

I hope this helps a little. you've got a great cutter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwp99 said:

I have the Summa D60 that I run with Flexisign.  I have had the Summa for at least 10 years and have had only one problem.  That was a power supply that went bad.  it was probably my fault because I use to leave the power on for long periods of time.  I did find a replacement power supply and it's been running great ever since.

I have no experience with other programs but can imagine the cutter will run fine with something different and windows 10.

That being said the Summa is a great vinyl cutter, they track very well and can cut very detailed designs.  

The title of this thread is D60 but in the original post you mention a T140.  These are two different cutters. the t140 being tangential which is even better than the D60's drag knife design.

Dakota gave you links to the Summa site for manuals and drivers.

I hope this helps a little. you've got a great cutter.

title may be wrong because this was split from the bottom of a old thread - sorry

Not really familiar with the older models but here is a link to the manual for Durasign T series. https://manualzz.com/doc/7256256/user-manual---summa-online

I know on the newer models (s class and s2) it comes with Winplot or Macsign software which is really basic to get you started. You design in illustrator and send it to Winplot. Search that site provided by Dakotagrafx and see if any compatible software is available for you to use. Good luck

Angie I saw that machine on CL and wondered if they got it sold. I am the mod mentioned and actually here in your area and run a newer Summa. That machine is pretty old but as long as it's been taken care of should be a good option especially at what you paid for it. I recommend trying out the free Signblazer if you're on a super tight budget and don't already have design skills. 

I run a mac and so use SignCut Pro in combination with Adobe Illustrator but both of those are paid programs. 

• Like 2

Thank you!  oh, he mentioned having to have a windows 7 system, do you know if it is possible to get it going with a windows 10?   I'm probably dreaming, lol. I should be able to pick up a cheap older unit, if needed

I believe the model you're mentioning is quite a bit newer than this plotter.  This one says it's DuraSign T140....it's not black like the 1400's....it's cream colored. Excuse clutter, I had just pushed stuff aside for this monster, lol. It's been dusted off and covered since that day.

IMG_20190418_143533_01[773].jpg

I found the T140 user manual and it had a copyright on it of 1999.   Many cutters can be ran on the same driver for many years.  Did you try it?   Many years of Graphtecs CE and FC are running on the same drivers. There are also some Roland generic drivers.  In todays use, many people wanted to stay with Signblazer software, but they bought a Titan vinyl cutter.  They are using the Copam 2500 in Signblazer. 

Just scanning through the manual, it appears the cutter is either connected through a parallel port or serial port. That would indicate that a special driver is not necessary and you should simply need a program that talks the correct language. That being said, the OS only would matter based on the software you want to use. Signblazer I believe will run just fine on windows 10. Assuming you have a PC with win 10 on it already I'd install SB and give it a try before bothering looking around for other computer options.

• Like 1