pawdell

Cutter's Media Position When Cutter Not In Use

Hey - Just wondering if it is best to unload any vinyl when not planning to use the cutter for a day or two. Or so...

Also, what about the media set lever and push rollers? Is it best to store the cutter with the push rollers not pressing against the grit rollers?

Thanks

That's an interesting question. When I had my P-Cut budget cutter it said to never leave the rollers up. When I got my High end cutter it said to never leave the rollers down. LOL. I just do what the cutter manual says. The reason the cheap cutter said to always lower them was to keep from compressing the springs for long periods and weakening them. The reason the high end machine says leave them up is because it will create flat spots on the pinch rollers and lead to tracking inaccuracy. Maybe the higher end machine has better quality springs, I have never had to replace the pinch rollers and I've now had this thing for 6 years. 

I try to keep my vinyl inside a plastic liner so I tend to remove it and store it. If it's some HTV that I am using pretty often I may leave it on the machine but not under the rollers. Each to his own. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have read the recommendation to leave the plotter with the pressure rollers up - 99 percent of the time for the past 10-11 years mine has been left down and vinyl loaded.  I don't follow some directions well I guess

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I always leave mine without pressure on grit roller. on every 1. my new 1 was shipped that way, I was told that's the best way, last I read on here to leave them up. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input. I looked in my manual, but admit that I need to read through it more. Mine did arrive with the rollers up, but I didn't know if that was more of a shipping thing.