Sign in to follow this  
Luvmydane

Help with Scorching

I am new to sublimation and I am having issues with scorching.  Any help and insight is appreciated.  I mostly get the scorching at the top of the shirt along the top edge of where the top of the transfer paper was, periodically I will get it on the side but not too often.  I have tried to adjust the pressure but that just was a mess, and the temperature adjustment then makes the color not so vivid.  Should I lower the temp but keep it in longer? Would that help?  I have worked on this for days without success, just when I think I got it BOOM it messes us again...lol  any help would be great!  Refuse to sell anything until I have this down

couple of things come to mind - the only time I had scorching was when I got a press and hadn't verified the temp with an IR gun - turned out the temp show was way below actual temp.

correct time and temp are most important - are you saying the paper is scorching or could you have bleed where the top of the paper isn't held tight to the shift because the press is hitting the collar material?   Pictures would help

• Like 1

I did check the temp with an IR gun and we are pretty accurate there.  Do you know off hand what a good time and temp is for a polyester shirt?  Thank you for responding earlier!

I don't do much sublimation but I tried it out for a while. You are always bumping up against the scorch limit to get the reaction to take place. Have you been covering the entire shirt with a cover sheet of some sort? That seemed to help me and also helped keep the ink from transferring out onto my upper platen when it reaches critical mass. I found that untreated white butcher paper was cheap and effective. 

I did some testing on some old polyester fabric and was surprised at the color variations you can get just from changing temp and/or time. (nothing to do with scorching but you might find you can run lower than 400 deg like Dakota suggested and avoid the scorch)

• Like 1

I am a new printer for sublimation, and I am using the bleach method on shirts before using heat press, but it is turning brown and have to bleach again after to get the brown out. What am I doing wrong? My heat press is the TUSY

13 minutes ago, willow said:

I am a new printer for sublimation, and I am using the bleach method on shirts before using heat press, but it is turning brown and have to bleach again after to get the brown out. What am I doing wrong? My heat press is the TUSY

I had never seen this before. So I watched a video.  They are applying the sub design first, to the shirt, then spraying them with bleach to get the effect.     https://www.google.com/search?q=can+you+sublimate+bleached+shirts&oq=can+you+sublimate+bleached+shirts&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.18012j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_e7xPX8qqAsyWsAWporLgBw23

• Like 1