Sign in to follow this  
Akima15

Vinyl peeling, HELP!

I have seen some similar topics but nothing that is exactly my issue, so hopefully someone can help.

I am having issues with Siser easyweed stretch adhering to sweatshirts.  The Shirts are Gildan G185 ( I washed them first with a mild detergent, NO fabric softener, to eliminate the shrink factor). I pressed the easyweed stretch using firm pressure in my clamshell press at 305 (which I triple verified using an infrared heat gun) for 15 seconds.  I let the vinyl cure for over 24 hours, and after washing inside out according to the instructions, I get wrinkling and peeling.  I’m at a loss, and don’t know what is going wrong.  Is it possibly that I shouldn’t use easyweed stretch on cotton blend shirts?  I used the same vinyl on a polyester moisture wicking shirt and had absolutely no issues.

did u pre heat?  from what I got from the web site siser recommends easy weed for cotton blends. I pre heat for about 5 sec. then press for 15,  but a lot of times I do 2nd press. from my understanding the most important is the preheat, gets all the moisture out of the shirt

• Like 2

If you laundered it it is possible that 5 seconds was not enough. You sound like you have checked all the most common causes, temp, pressure and time and if you have had no issues with the same product on a different fabric then that only leaves moisture or some sort of softener issue. Some detergent has softeners in it and can leave residue on the cloth. My bet is that the cloth is holding more moisture than you think. The Gildan G185 is probably actually 18500 which is a 50/50 blend and is pre-shruck so you aren't gaining much by pre-washing. Press is again if it isn't completely ruined and sometimes it will stay down. 

I don't ever pre-wash anything but have successfully pressed on old clothing that has been through many wash cycles. If you happened to change rolls of vinyl it is possible you got a bad roll. Not very common but I once got a bad roll of white. That's the only bad roll I have ever gotten in the 8 years I have been doing this and I go through hundreds of yards a year. 

• Like 2