Sign in to follow this  
LonnieSmith

Titan 3 cut quality (USB connection)

I acquired a Titan3 this week and after getting it home and set up, I'm noticing that the quality of the cutting is a little off.  I simply typed "test" using the text tool in VinylMaster Cut and sent it to the plotter.  It is cutting, my blade depth seems to be pretty well set, running speed at about 250 and my downforce is set at around 100, but the edges and corners of the letters aren't very crisp (slightly rounded off), and the crossbar of the "t" is a little askew.  I currently have it hooked up to my laptop via USB, and I'm wondering if perhaps I should try using a computer with a serial port connection to see if it improves the quality.  Has anyone else encountered similar problems, and how did you solve them?

There are not any set numbers as far as setting up a vinyl cutter.  Even the same vinyl cutter can be different.  Sounds like you need to adjust the blade offset.  Use the TEST feature on the cutter and  see how sharp the squares are. Adjust to get them square. How did you set your blade depth?  The blade depth is the first thing you have to get correct. That cutter should run just fine on USB. 

• Like 1

The blade depth should be good, only the barest point of the tip showing from the holder.  I'll fiddle with the offset a bit and see what that gets me.  Any idea generally speaking of where it should be set?

You should start at 0.25mm  plus or minus 0.05  Use the test feature   This is how to set the blade depth correctly. You cannot just eyeball it. This works

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should just barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. 

• Like 1

I can personally vouch that the titan 2/3 series worked great on usb - think skeeter has you on the right track

This was done on a titan2 within 15 minutes of unboxing - before I got it all dialed in

P3130002.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry it took a minute to get back, it's been very busy the last few weeks.  You were on the money, Skeeter. Bumped up the offset until I hit around 0.35, and now the edges are clean as a whistle.  Thanks a bunch!