Sign in to follow this  
livinloudgraphics

businesses practices/ customer showup

Just trying to see where everyone would be on this subject. 

i recently had a customer who wanted a decal for their windshield, We setup a time (after i usually close) because of work related issues. i usually am closed by the time they get off.. so they asked me to meet them at the shop on a weekend to come up with something for their car. it which we did that basically over the phone in a 30 min conversation.Needless to say i set up a time 9am, they call me saying they would be a little late at about 930am. I did actually have to go pick up something from my shop this morning so it wasn't a wasted drive. but they called back several time apologizing and told me it wont be long for them to be there. so after the 3rd call i decided to leave and just say oh well its been 4 hrs later and no show. What would you do in a instance like this? Charge a late fee? Go up on the job or what. just not trying to be too picky but it seems like a instance where i can say hey we schedule for 9am here it is 1 pm and you didnt show up till late. we can reschedule and then theres a late fee??

• Sad 2

You should have had a contract already signed with 1/2 down.  Contract should have covered this.. You could have sent it online...Mail. 

• Like 2

at $50/hr I will wait as long as you want - nothing is free.  I hope you are making good money on the decal :)

• Like 1

We used to have similar problems and we solved it by putting a 50% deposit in place to be paid when the customer approves the final design. We've not had any lost business and even our existing customer base understood why we started requiring a deposit. There's so many apps and options available it's never been a problem.

Customer's attitude often dictates prices for me - that includes their attitude that my time is not as important as theirs. If they're a problematic customer just trying to set up an initial meet, I can only imagine what kind of customer they will be when it comes to picking-up the job and actually paying for it.

I am not the only game in town, and it they do not like my prices, or my business hours - they can find someone else who will be more inclined to get their time wasted.

I know, it's kind of a harsh way of looking at it, but a) I'm a hobbyist, that is willing to take the 'one-off' jobs what some shops won't; and b) I have yet to meet a job that pays so well, that I'm willing to accept the aggravation that goes along with any lack of respect for what I do, and my time to do it.

• Like 5

On 3/30/2019 at 1:26 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

at $50/hr I will wait as long as you want - nothing is free.  I hope you are making good money on the decal :)

Yep my rate is $50.00 to $100.00 an hour plus equipment charge if applicable 

• Like 1