I stupidly decided to updated from MacOS 10.12 Sierra to 10.14 Mojave and now cannot get illustrator CS5 to send to Cut Master 4. I’ve uninstalled the software. Registered a new SAI code to no avail. I’m stuck and don’t know where to go from here. 

You might be getting into that no-mans land where the older programs start having issues. My iMac HD started to go so I had a local shop drop a new SSD in and we upgraded to 10.13 at that time. I am still fine with CS5 on it but if I scroll too fast down the list when in the font view mode it will cause a crash. I think its some hoopla related more to my FontAgent Pro than to AI but I'm not sure. I have just been a little more careful to save before I start messing with fonts and scroll a little slower. If I am not in the preview mode it is fine I just can't ever remember the name of fonts and have to see them.

SAI is Flexi isn't it? I don't have a Graphtec so can't offer much real help. 

7 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

You might be getting into that no-mans land where the older programs start having issues. My iMac HD started to go so I had a local shop drop a new SSD in and we upgraded to 10.13 at that time. I am still fine with CS5 on it but if I scroll too fast down the list when in the font view mode it will cause a crash. I think its some hoopla related more to my FontAgent Pro than to AI but I'm not sure. I have just been a little more careful to save before I start messing with fonts and scroll a little slower. If I am not in the preview mode it is fine I just can't ever remember the name of fonts and have to see them.

I have the same exact font problem with illustrator CS5. I’m guessing somehow the plugin for illustrator is the problem with it timing out. 

The updates on Graphtecs site say it’s CS5 comparable so I’m not sure what’s going on. 

45 minutes ago, ericmschwanke said:

I have the same exact font problem with illustrator CS5. I’m guessing somehow the plugin for illustrator is the problem with it timing out. 

The updates on Graphtecs site say it’s CS5 comparable so I’m not sure what’s going on. 

Interesting. I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one. Ha ha that's not much of a positive note, misery loves company. 

11 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

CuttingMaster 4 is made by SAI and is sitting in the SAI Cloud.  So you have to use a registration to get to their cloud.

Install Cutting Master 4 [2-1 Installing "Cutting Master 4" (Windows)] [2-2 Installing "Cutting Master 4" (Macintosh)] User registration to SAi Cloud Connect [2-3 User registration to "SAi Cloud Connect"]

I keep getting the production manager error so it appears it is dealing with the plugin sending from illustrator CS5 to Cut Master 4. Ive installed and uninstalled and tried several times.

please don’t make me upgrade to adobe CC yet.

1 hour ago, ericmschwanke said:

Workaround question. What can I save the file as from illustrator to open directly in Cut Master 4.

Don't you save your files?  I would think you could import them into CM4

I save everything as .ai and doesn’t allow import. To further the weirdness I did the 7 day trial of CC and import from Illustrator worked perfect. Of course it would! Gosh I am just not ready for the monthly payment. 

I do my best not to save any files into anything that's proprietary ... just in case.

If you're running a graphtec, Can you download their Graphtec Studio? Yes, I get that you're more than fluent on AI and using the plug in is preferred, but in reality, it's always good to have a work around, in case your 'go to' method no longer works. Mojave most like broke something in the communication between CM4 and CS5. Find yourself a work around, so you're at least cutting. CM tends to want to open .PLT, .PRT, and .JOB files; it doesn't view .ai files as readable.

I treasure my legacy software like nobody's business, because god knows I paid an arm and leg for the CS Suites, twice - one for my Windows rig, and another for my Mac. I already noticed when I 'upgraded' to Yosemite back in the day, that the compatibility was getting hinky, so I stopped. I've been on Yosemite since, and have had NO issues moving forward, with exception to basic hardware issues, which has nothing to do with what OS I'm running.

I work at an Apple Reseller and thankfully if I need to I have the tools to backtrack the operating system but was hoping for a quicker fix. I will always use Illustrator so saving as .AI doesn’t bug me. I’ll keep hunting. Graphtec support hasn’t been that quick to respond so I’ll see what they say when we start cracking at it.

You should be able to import eps I would think.

9 hours ago, haumana said:

I do my best not to save any files into anything that's proprietary ... just in case.

That's extremely hard to do, the only non proprietary vector format I know of is svg. :)

14 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

That's extremely hard to do, the only non proprietary vector format I know of is svg. :)

I am up to Flexi 10 and it does not have .svg on the import list.  Many , many other formats, but not .svg

I know, just commenting that there are very few non proprietary file formats or open source file formats. Now there are industry standards, EPS being the big one, but even it is proprietary.

2 hours ago, darcshadow said:

how about .eps - every software I have used will import it and customers have been sending artwork in that format for years - 

3 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

how about .eps - every software I have used will import it and customers have been sending artwork in that format for years - 

It is an Adobe creation, proprietary, but publicly documented.

.eps imports into
flexising,
Vinylmaster
signblazer
Corel draw
Adobe Illustrator
Graphtec Pro Studio (private flexi)
VE-LXI (private flexi)

and every other vector software I have used .. . just saying very universal and if you change software chances are it will work unless using a crafters software

• Like 1

.eps is probably the most widely accepted vector extensions out there, and I have yet to run into an issue about creation versions, like I sometimes do with AI

I'm getting better and better at AI, but yah, at the end of the day - the layout may get saved as AI, but if I can, the artwork pieces get saved as .eps ...  just in case; and it's nice that I get to tweak graphics in both AI and Corel.

• Like 1