X1ArmBanditx

splitting a roll without a core

hey all! ive read and watched videos about using a mitre saw to cut down a roll a vinyl..i just got a roll in that i need to cut but it doesnt have a cardboard core, or any core for that matter.....is the mitre saw a bad idea without a core??

The primary video I've seen for what you are suggesting is one in which the guy sets the whole thing on fire.

So, to answer your question --- yes, it's a bad idea.

(What happened to your core?) Put a core in there, and at least ya got a fighting chance. Keep an extinguisher handy!

27 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Any local sign shop will have a few just laying around.

that means ill have to unravel it all because its a tight roll(tighter than any small rolls ive ever seen) which dosent make me very happy either! lol...im going to call some local shops and see if they will cut it for me, if not maybe ill try a razor blade :/

If the roll is rolled tight enough, miter saw might work, or a band saw might work a bit better.

The video of the guy setting the roll on fire is a possibility but only if you cut extremely slow like he was doing. No idea why he thought going that slow would be a good idea. I've done it and didn't have a problem. I put some blue painters tape around the roll where I was cutting and just cut it like cutting wood, maybe a touch slower, but not by much.

6 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

If the roll is rolled tight enough, miter saw might work, or a band saw might work a bit better.

The video of the guy setting the roll on fire is a possibility but only if you cut extremely slow like he was doing. No idea why he thought going that slow would be a good idea. I've done it and didn't have a problem. I put some blue painters tape around the roll where I was cutting and just cut it like cutting wood, maybe a touch slower, but not by much.

have you done it without a core? the no core situation is what bothers me...its like there wont be enough rigidity i feel without the core

I wouldn't try it without a core - just sayin.   done several with a core and fine tooth blade with good success but without a core you will just mess up a bunch of expensive vinyl..  I am guessing you bought some by the foot?

55 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

I wouldn't try it without a core - just sayin.   done several with a core and fine tooth blade with good success but without a core you will just mess up a bunch of expensive vinyl..  I am guessing you bought some by the foot?

30ft from amazon prime..needed it fast to put numbers on my dirt track car by this weekend...i have my mitre saw sitting right here as i just put a new door in and need to cut my trim but im thinking without a core im going to have to find someone with a bandsaw(seems like it may work) or try a razor blade, i dunno, ughh

Is your cutter not wide enough to hold it?  If the roll is that tight, you may need to unroll the roll in the opposite direction to even get it to feed thru your vinyl cutter. It may not lay flat.  Curled up.  

1 hour ago, X1ArmBanditx said:

have you done it without a core? the no core situation is what bothers me...its like there wont be enough rigidity i feel without the core

No I have not. Could try using a hand saw, maybe a coping saw. Or even just a large sharp knife.

16 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Is your cutter not wide enough to hold it?  If the roll is that tight, you may need to unroll the roll in the opposite direction to even get it to feed thru your vinyl cutter. It may not lay flat.  Curled up.  

sadly im still using a cameo 3

Looking at Amazon there are many rolls of  15" wide x 10 yds  751 in many colors...Free ship. It would have been easier to use. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Looking at Amazon there are many rolls of  15" wide x 10 yds  751 in many colors...Free ship. It would have been easier to use. 

yes but i needed black and at least 12 yds...figured id get the 24 and cut it but without a core im scrambling for a good solution

loosen the roll up, put a piece of pvc  pipe inside where you want to cut it in half.  put it thru the miter saw.  Macgyver here. :lol: 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

loosen the roll up, put a piece of pvc  pipe inside where you want to cut it in half.  put it thru the miter saw.  Macgyver here. :lol: 

im worried i will not get it rolled up tight enough, im working with 1 arm...lol, im not scared of the saw with 1 arm but im stressing over this vinyl:rolleyes:

You don't have a friend to help you?  You could tape around the outside of the vinyl. to hold it.  Or you could use the core you already have, inside the roll to make it firm, 

4 minutes ago, X1ArmBanditx said:

i will later today, i just like to find solutions i can take on myself...it will be my downfall i tell ya

Trust me, I am a 69 year old woman, and I don't ask for help either.  I figure out a way to do things myself ALOT!!!   I cut a 60" w x 150 yd roll on my miter saw.  I had won 1/2 off at a vinyl business, so I bought the biggest roll that I could get.  So I got 2,, 30" rolls out of the deal. 

• Like 5