cindus1

Paper Transfer Tape-Layering

I'm getting ready to do my first multi-color vehicle decal.  It's going to be about 12x20 for a car door so I'm thinking I need to use paper tape for a possible wet installation.  There are four colors in the decal.  My questions are: 1) Can you see well enough through the paper tape to layer (i've read that you can't use clear when using liquid)? 2) Can you overlap the transfer tape to cover the whole decal without problems? 3) Does the shape of the registration mark really matter?  I've seen some complaints about the stock marks in Vinylmaster and was just wondering what type and how many are best.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!

Cindy

Yes, sort of, No. :)

You can see through paper take well enough to line things up usually, color of vehicle and color of vinyl will have some effect.

By over lap, do you mean use multiple piece of transfer tape to cover the decal? Yes, it can be done, but it should be avoided. Where the tape overlaps you are likely to get bubbles in the decal. Now if you have say two lines of text you can have the tape overlap in the black space between the letters, no problem.

Shape and size of the mark is up to you, what ever works best for you. I typically use a diamond shape, just my personal preference.

• Like 2

You might try using some parchment paper to help you out with your project. I did an instructional contribution on it a few years back

In the case of a vehicle with multiple layers I try to do the layering at the shop so I just have one layer to put on when I get there. You can fight bubbles with layered vinyl so sometimes it's doesn't work as well if the layers actually overlap. If the layers are just side by side with space between each color then it works really good. You can use a piece of parchment right on the vehicle if you are layering there at the install. Just pull off your carrier and lay a piece or parchment back in it's place prior to aligning the layer onto the car door. It will aid in getting set in the right place. Use a top or bottom hinge once you get it to where you want it and slide the parchment out and squeegee center out. If you have compound curves on the door you will definitely want to pre-stack all your layers as mentioned because getting them all aligned with compound curves is really hard to do accurately. 

• Like 2

Thank you both for the great info!  And yes, I was talking about layering the transfer tape...sorry for not being clear.

1 hour ago, cindus1 said:

Thank you both for the great info!  And yes, I was talking about layering the transfer tape...sorry for not being clear.

I've layered transfer tape and if you are in a pinch or a one off job that doesn't justify buying a large roll you can. As darcshadow mentioned you will see a rill of bubbles at the point the two layers overlap. As you squeegee over the area the single layer edge will not get the right amount of pressure and allow air to be trapped. It's often not too bad if the design has lots or words or a busy design but you will probably have to work the bubbles out with a pin after you remove the tape. I like to use a felt squeegee after removing the tape so I can push the air into a localized spot and then release it with a pin tool or thumb tack. Don't use a knife you don't want a slice.

• Like 1