Wind Gatherer

Setting Blade Holder Into Cutter

I have a SEIKI SK720T 28" vinyl cutter plotter.  I have positioned the blade correctly in the blade holder. Fitting the blade holder itself into the cutter?

The Chinese/English user manual says, Installation of blade holder. 1 turn off power. 2 Loose the locking-screw of the holder bracket, then put the blade holder in the V breach and ensure the blade tip to reach to the protection strip.Fasten the locking screw clockwise at last. 3 After turning on the machine, the tip should raise around 1/8 inches away from the protection strip

" After turning on the machine, the tip should raise around 1/8 inches away from the protection strip. " It doesn't lift up an 1/8 of an inch. I think I need it to lift up so can line up edge of vinyl with end of machine. I cut the vinyl off at the end after it got chewed up at my first attempt at cutting vinyl,the cut end itself is not square. See my other post, Newbie Loading Vinyl Onto Machine.

Thanks.

Blade Holder Cutter Forum.JPG

The cutter can't be operating correctly up against the red button on the right. Move the carriage head several inches to the left. . And then turn the power on.   Seiki has tech support, and a website. Contact them. They are out of Sparks , Nevada

This is how to set your blade depth correctly

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.You should only see and feel the very tip of the blade. You only cut the vinyl with the very tip.

I don't recommend that you run your vinyl flush with the side of the machine. If your vinyl is coming off a roll, then it should be fairly straight and as long as you hold the tension in the middle of the edge of the vinyl while setting down the pinch rollers, it should be good to go. If your vinyl is a sheet, then eye-ball it for straightness, then jog/move the vinyl back and forth (front to back) and see if there's any drifting. If there is, make very small corrections until you can get it fairly straight. You can use the ruler tick marks on your machine and watch the vinyl drift one way or the other.

The red button on the inside of the cut windows are safety kill switches to tell your machine to stop, because the carriage head is at the very furthest point in the cutting window it can be.

You don't need a lot of clearance between the cutting head and the bottom of the cut window to pull your vinyl through. Is the gap narrow? yes, but there is a gap and it's big enough to pull vinyl through.

Does the cutter head move at all when you turn power on? If it's not moving up at all,  you could have a bad Z-chip. Some machines they can be replaced easily, others require some soldering skill.

I recently picked up a seiki, the guys/gals on here helped me get it setup to cut since it wasn't plug and play like all the other brands I have used. so they def have a lot more knowledge than me with this. 3rd yr cutting vinyl, I still consider myself a newbie. to get the seiki up and cutting I  had to dn load the drivers for it. something I didn't have to do with US cutter, GCC, and Graphtec brands. they all connected auto to my cut software after selecting the brand.  I will get a couple pics of my seiki carriage and post up. the carriage on my seiki stays up while off . I would. guess its the same height as all my other cutters. I use a ruler to square up the vinyl on the seiki and sc cutter. my seiki only has a measurement strip on the ft, the sc has 1 ft and back but they don't match. off about a lil less than a 1/4 in. the gcc has 2 strips on the ft. im going to set all the other cutters up this way. is the easiest for me. and I do the jog tip to make sure its running true.

1C15C79D-D825-4459-BFC8-4A2C4A7AC5FC.jpeg

E9FF967D-B44B-4367-B8C6-B3855478D6C9.jpeg

• Like 1

Up while off, that's interesting. So to the OP, assuming yours should work the same as cardudenc's then I would say you have a weak spring, or the spring has become disconnected inside the carriage. It appears you have two screws holding the plastic cover on the carriage, You should be able to take the cover off and get a good look at what is going on inside and be able to tell if you have a spring problem or not.

Note, when you take the cover off, the cutting head will not likely hit the red button and will continue to try and drive to the right, so if you turn the cutter on with the cover removed, put your finger over the red button and hit it before the cutter head moves too far right.

• Like 1

I thought so too. the reason why I mentioned it. I have the sc and the seiki at my house. so comparing the 2, 1 was dn and the other raised.  the gcc is at the shop. so now im there and the gcc is sitting off with the blade raised.  

On 3/26/2019 at 7:52 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

" This is how to set your blade depth correctly

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, " Yes this is how I set the blade depth the other day.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:52 PM, darcshadow said:

Does the cutter head move at all when you turn power on? If it's not moving up at all,  you could have a bad Z-chip. Some machines they can be replaced easily, others require some soldering skill.

When I switch the machine on, the blade holder lifts and drops down and the roller rotates a little. If I press the test button the blade carriage moves forwards and backwards doing the test

On 3/28/2019 at 1:56 PM, darcshadow said:

" assuming yours should work the same as cardudenc's then I would say you have a weak spring, or the spring has become disconnected inside the carriage. It appears you have two screws holding the plastic cover on the carriage, You should be able to take the cover off and get a good look at what is going on inside and be able to tell if you have a spring problem or not." I'll check this out with the power off, later over the weekend, probably Sunday afternoon, UK time.

Thanks.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:52 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Seiki has tech support, and a website. Contact them. They are out of Sparks , Nevada 

Yes I found the website and the support forum. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Wind Gatherer said:

Yes I found the website and the support forum. Thanks.

Is this a new cutter that you purchased from a dealer or did you purchase the Seiki used?  How long have you owned the Seiki?

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:56 AM, darcshadow said:

So to the OP, assuming yours should work the same as cardudenc's then I would say you have a weak spring, or the spring has become disconnected inside the carriage. It appears you have two screws holding the plastic cover on the carriage, You should be able to take the cover off and get a good look at what is going on inside and be able to tell if you have a spring problem or not.

I def agree with darcshadow about the spring for the carriage since your saying its going back dn while on. gotta b an issue in there. I will take the cover off mine and post a pic.  but since it was brought up, did u buy this used or new?  if new how long u had it? us cutter had to send me a replacement carriage at the very beginning

On 3/29/2019 at 3:49 PM, Wind Gatherer said:

When I switch the machine on, the blade holder lifts and drops down and the roller rotates a little. If I press the test button the blade carriage moves forwards and backwards doing the test

If it raises up then drops back down, I'm confused and at a loss as to what could be the problem. With vinyl loaded, is a design cut when you hit the test button? On my MH a star inside of a box is cut when I hit the test button.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:56 PM, darcshadow said:

Up while off, that's interesting. So to the OP, assuming yours should work the same as cardudenc's then I would say you have a weak spring, or the spring has become disconnected inside the carriage. It appears you have two screws holding the plastic cover on the carriage, You should be able to take the cover off and get a good look at what is going on inside and be able to tell if you have a spring problem or not.

I took the cover off, see attached photo, all looks good to me.

Cutter Forum.JPG

Did you ever change the model in the software?  The picture you posted originally says you are using Model MH.  The cutter is not a MH cutter. It is a Seiki.   Or  try a different software, where Seiki is listed as the model. 

On 3/29/2019 at 9:08 PM, MZ SKEETER said:

Is this a new cutter that you purchased from a dealer or did you purchase the Seiki used?  How long have you owned the Seiki?

Hi,

I bought it from a dealer 29 Nov, 2018 .I've only switched it on 2/3 times, check that it worked and do the test cut. I did have that accident, when I tried cutting and it went wrong and chewed up the vinyl quite bad, see my other post, Newbie Loading Vinyl Onto Machine March 6th   with photos.

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you ever change the model in the software?  The picture you posted originally says you are using Model MH.  The cutter is not a MH cutter. It is a Seiki.   Or  try a different software, where Seiki is listed as the model. 

I'll have a look at that before trying the test cut again, thanks.

A Seiki is NOT a UScutter vinyl cutter..  That cutter is made by Seikitech.    Which operating system are you running this cutter on?   Did you buy this from Ebay? Signzworld? Or somewhere else?   Craftedge is your tech support for the Sure Cuts A Lot. 

Sure Cuts A Lot advertises Seiki as one of the brands that the software can be used with, So I'm sure they would have Seiki listed in the drop down box as the Seiki(tech).  and Model  SK720T

I just downloaded a trial version of SCALP,,  and Seiki is listed as the brand and T series is listed as the model. Look for it on your software under cutters. 

1/2 hour ago joined the Seiki forum, downloaded and installed the correct driver. Am just about to see if I can move carriage independently over to the left.Then move it back to the origin point and see if machine will do a test cut.

2 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

A Seiki is NOT a UScutter vinyl cutter..  That cutter is made by Seikitech.    Which operating system are you running this cutter on?   Did you buy this from Ebay? Signzworld? Or somewhere else?   Craftedge is your tech support for the Sure Cuts A Lot.  

Sure Cuts A Lot advertises Seiki as one of the brands that the software can be used with, So I'm sure they would have Seiki listed in the drop down box as the Seiki(tech).  and Model  SK720T

Windows 7 Home Premium, yes Ebay, Signzworld," I'm sure they would have Seiki listed in the drop down box as the Seiki " Yes they did and I selected it.

8 minutes ago, Wind Gatherer said:

Windows 7 Home Premium, yes Ebay, Signzworld," I'm sure they would have Seiki listed in the drop down box as the Seiki " Yes they did and I selected it.

What are your results?