negansbat

Best transfer tape using 651 on small decals

Hi,

I've been researching this forum and google all night.  I've been tasked to create logo decals that range from 2" to 6".  6" x 6" is the largest we would do.  Some will have smaller lettering.  I need a transfer tape that looks professional(I've read paper doesn't?) and customers can easily apply these with out any issues.

Thank you in advance.  I don't know anything about vinyl cutting except the very basics as I just took over this area of the shop. 

Just because paper tape doesn't look professional, it doesn't mean that it is not the right choice for the job. .  I have always used paper tape.  Most professional  people do.   

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Just because paper tape doesn't look professional, it doesn't mean that it is not the right choice for the job. .  I have always used paper tape.  Most professional  people do.   

Thank you for the reply.  

every professional I know uses paper tape - lots of hobbyist use clear.  anyone that has tried applying clear to something like a larger back window with a compound curve know that clear will not conform to the curves like paper will

• Like 7

It's a similar situation to the customer who says they don't want any of that cheap thin stuff but rather have the good thick vinyl. Thin vinyl = cast high end where thick = calendared budget vinyl. If you don't know the difference now would be a good time to do a google search <Cast vs Calendared>

Paper if far better but the end user can't see through it very well. So if your end users are flea market sellers who need them to be easily seen it might need to go that route. I'd be more inclined to offer either option but with a note that I recommend paper since that is what professionals use. At least that way you leave both doors open. On another note I do think that the clear tape holds it's glue moisture a little better if it sits for long periods. I always wrap up my app tape but have noticed by the time I get to the end of a roll it's starting to show it's age being a little less tacky. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wildgoose said:

It's a similar situation to the customer who says they don't want any of that cheap thin stuff but rather have the good thick vinyl. Thin vinyl = cast high end where thick = calendared budget vinyl. If you don't know the difference now would be a good time to do a google search <Cast vs Calendared>

Paper if far better but the end user can't see through it very well. So if your end users are flea market sellers who need them to be easily seen it might need to go that route. I'd be more inclined to offer either option but with a note that I recommend paper since that is what professionals use. At least that way you leave both doors open. On another note I do think that the clear tape holds it's glue moisture a little better if it sits for long periods. I always wrap up my app tape but have noticed by the time I get to the end of a roll it's starting to show it's age being a little less tacky. 

Thank you for the information.  I'm not knocking paper tape I just read a few threads that said it doesn't look professional for the end user as I don't know anything about the decal vinyl business as of right now. I'll probably end up going with plastic right now because if they have to install it themselves they'll have to see where the decal is unless the paper is somewhat see through.  Do you have recommendations of what specific tape to use?

5 minutes ago, negansbat said:

Thank you for the information.  I'm not knocking paper tape I just read a few threads that said it doesn't look professional for the end user as I don't know anything about the decal vinyl business as of right now. I'll probably end up going with plastic right now because if they have to install it themselves they'll have to see where the decal is unless the paper is somewhat see through.  Do you have recommendations of what specific tape to use?

Even if you use clear, the backing is not. So, you would still not be able to see through it. The paper app tape is somewhat see through.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bikemike said:

Even if you use clear, the backing is not. So, you would still not be able to see through it. The paper app tape is somewhat see through.

Thank you Mike.

24 minutes ago, negansbat said:

I have been shipping decals for 13 years, large 8-16 ft long  (average) and I only use paper tape.  I do not know who is buying my items or if they have any experience applying vinyl graphics/decals.  I have never had a complaint about using paper tape.   I use Main brand medium tack.  The tape is not clear, but you can see every part of the decal thru it. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, negansbat said:

if they said it doesn't look professional that is probably the opinion of a newbie or crafter that doesn't have to install them.   remember that if you sell it on clear and the window has a curve in 2 directions like cars many do it will not conform as well and will cause wrinkles - that is totally you choice.  
since every old timers has said the same thing, and you are still insistent on the clear , I am guessing you wasn't really looking for advice from the people that do this everyday.  

17 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

I have been shipping decals for 13 years, large 8-16 ft long  (average) and I only use paper tape.  I do not know who is buying my items or if they have any experience applying vinyl graphics/decals.  I have never had a complaint about using paper tape.   I use Main brand medium tack.  The tape is not clear, but you can see every part of the decal thru it. 

Thank you Skeeter.  I will look into that brand.  

5 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

if they said it doesn't look professional that is probably the opinion of a newbie or crafter that doesn't have to install them.   remember that if you sell it on clear and the window has a curve in 2 directions like cars many do it will not conform as well and will cause wrinkles - that is totally you choice.  
since every old timers has said the same thing, and you are still insistent on the clear , I am guessing you wasn't really looking for advice from the people that do this everyday.  

I always love it when people come for advise, BUT then they don't like the correct answers to the questions, that they get. ::)

• Like 1

Reading comprehension since both of you want to bash my basic question.

"I'll probably end up going with plastic right now because if they have to install it themselves they'll have to see where the decal is unless the paper is somewhat see through."

No one is bashing. You asked a question and it was answered.

Even with clear, you can not see through the backing paper. So, that argument is wrong.

• Like 1

again no one was bashing -  advice was asked and advice given.   it is your choice to take that advice into consideration or not.  paper is translucent not transparent like clear (which is not optically clear.  On the forum the old timers try to help each other and newbies to be successful -everyone on this forum including the moderators are volunteers

You will also have to tell the buyers that they cannot do wet install with clear plastic transfer tape.  That is applied dry only.   Paper tape can be applied both ways, wet or dry. 

• Like 1

May also help to check the profiles of the people who have been giving you information.

There is over 30 years of combined experience helping you.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bikemike said:

No one is bashing. You asked a question and it was answered.

Even with clear, you can not see through the backing paper. So, that argument is wrong.

But most people, with small decals, don't install with the backing paper. They will peal the backing off then position the decal to install.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, darcshadow said:

But most people, with small decals, don't install with the backing paper. They will peal the backing off then position the decal to install.

Can't argue with that.

I have also seen people install and think the clear is part of the decal and leave it there.

I had one guy do it with a 12 x 12 inch decal. He had no idea.

• Like 3

best one I had was the guy that spent an hour removing the application tape and wondered why it wouldn't stick to the inside of his back window . . . well educated but little common sense - I worked with him for over 15 years and had never seen that side.  I had him come over and I reapplied the tape and helped him install it myself.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

best one I had was the guy that spent an hour removing the application tape and wondered why it wouldn't stick to the inside of his back window . . . well educated but little common sense - I worked with him for over 15 years and had never seen that side.  I had him come over and I reapplied the tape and helped him install it myself.

I had a buyer do almost the same thing. Tried taking the paper transfer tape off before it was ever applied and tried to blame me because the vinyl tore. Big decal also.  I asked for pictures, the wax paper backing was still on the decal. Transfer tape, peeled back.  A nice checkered decal all ripped up. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

For the OP, sounds like you are selling small decals so the clear should be fine. I have a roll of clear and sell some and even install some that way just depending on the project particulars. A 6" decal won't make much difference. 

• Like 1

If it's a known customer, they know how to install/apply the decal properly, and it's a flat surface, I will give them clear - keep in mind, that once the waxed paper backing comes off, the clear app tape then becomes frosted, and trying to see through it for alignment purposes really isn't any easier than using paper.

I see you point, and I understand - I certainly will say that I'd prefer to look at other people's decals with clear app tape, because I can see it better, but I would rather buy it with paper tape, because 1) the paper tape will allow the decal to contour to a non flat surface better, and 2) I can do a wet application if I needed.

The decision is either made for you by the customer, or if they have no preference, then always opt for the paper. If they choose clear, at least do yourself a favor and explain the advantages of paper (disadvantages of clear), and they can make an informed decision and at the very least, you CYA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

Where do you purchase it?