David Adame

issue CUTTER or SOFTWARE?

Okay here is the issue at hand.

got my design set sized mirror flipped. ready to cut.

I press "CUT"... cutter starts going as normal. could be 5 secs. - 20 secs. into the cutting process

the cutter stops on point. 2-3 secs just sits there. on my computer the screen is saying its in progress with a green loading bar looking like its working.

cutter resets goes back to 0x,0y far right position. at this point i feel like its the cutter malfunction. 

i look over to my computer screen and cancel the job...

after hitting cancel the program starts performing the (not responding) at the top of sure cuts a lot pro 3 opened sofware bar.

so now im confused if it maybe a cutter issue or software issue. 

This type of question (software vs. hardware) is easily resolved with SignBlazrr utilized as an alternative cut program.

(Redsail = MH)

• Like 1

Best to put that cutter on a Serial cable or a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter. That is the brand name Tripp-lite the only one guaranteed to work with a vinyl cutter.  Always dump the data from the last order before you start another order.  That cutter has very limited memory.   Designs with a lot of nodes will also overload the memory.  Make sure the cutter is grounded to the stand if you have one.  The static from the vinyl will fry the electronics.  To make sure it is not static, run the order with the blade holder out of the machine or use your pen tool on paper. See if it finishes then.    That MH cutter has many known problems. We steer buyers away from it.  Any cutter above it would have been better.   Or like Slice stated try a different software. 

• Like 1

Most likely the software is locking up because it is trying to talk to the plotter that has gone off in the weeds. If you wait long enough after hitting cancel, the software will eventually time out and give up trying to talk to the hardware and start working normally again.

When you say the cutter resets, does it go back to home and stop? Typically when static is the problem the cutter runs away and feeds vinyl till you stop it, often times with the knife down and cutting a nice long slice through your good vinyl.

Everyone talks about the memory issue, I have a MH and I've never had a problem and have cut some designs with a ridiculous amount of nodes. If the software is working correctly the amount of memory on a cutter should be irrelevant. Software feeds the data to the cutter till the memory buffer is full, then waits for the cutter to request more. In theory, a cutter could work with just a few bytes of memory, it'd be extremely inefficient, but it could be done.

I would try the pen thing mentioned by skeeter first, and if it still behaves weird, then try different software. If it behaves weird with no blade, and different software there's a good chance it's a hardware problem.

• Like 1