I currently have a Vinyl Express R series 2 which has served me well. I know it is bottom of the barrel. But, it has helped me learn a lot. My question is, how much of an upgrade is the Titan 2? Will I see a big difference in how it cuts? Is it worth the dollars to upgrade?

Going from a stepper to a servo cutter is night and day better. .  Servo cutters are much more precise, accurate and quiet. The higher end cutters track better and do have TRUE USB. Absolutely worth it.  Upgrade once and be done with it.   I don't have a Titan. but a higher up than that.  I would NEVER go back to a stepper cutter. 

• Like 1

You do need to consider that there are different grades of everything including stepper and servo motors. Sort of like comparing an angle grinder sold at Harbor Freight to a Makita. They will rep the same/similar torque and all that but at the end of a year of abuse the Makita is ready for about 10 more years and the bearings gave out on the HF two months ago. I'm not knocking the Titan because it's a great compromise to allow servo motors at a more reasonable price. And cutters don't take the abuse that other tools might, heck look how long even the MH survives. But it's still a compromise none the less. If you are ok with a med level jump and an eventual step on up later then thats probably the best option. Resale and long term parts availability come into question as well. 

You ask will you see a difference in the cuts on the Titan? Yeah I think you will. Definitely going to be quieter and smoother. Should track a little better too. Would you see the difference in a jump to a Graphtec? Absolutely! The Graphtec is about $800 more than the Titan 2's non sale price. Not quite double but definitely more. If you are a hobbyist it may not be worth it. 

• Like 2

Hey Dakota,  I'm pretty impressed,  where can I get a 3 inch diameter dime?  lol

Helicopter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, dwp99 said:

Hey Dakota,  I'm pretty impressed,  where can I get a 3 inch diameter dime?  lol

Helicopter.jpg

Nice, didn’t realize you had a titan too . . .  I can go a little smaller on the graphtec but the titan did a respectable job

• Like 1

The increased speed and quieter operation are the primary benefits.

RDunn may not even NEED to change to another machine, depending on what type of work he mainly produces.

There is no way my jobs (Banners and Signs) would require anything of that mini size.

yard-signs-2.jpg

11 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

have TRUE USB.

I often wonder if that is actually a correct statement. Several of the high end cutters still have serial ports so the motherboard is using good old fashion RS-232 on it some place. I would guess the cutter is also just using a USB-2-Serial chip, the only difference being it's a higher quality chip, and the drivers have been written in such a way that it does not identify itself to windows as a comm port.