lilsammie2007

Motherboard? Carriage? MH 871

Last week I received my new MH 871 and this week it won't cut. I adjusted the blade and force and neither worked. When I push down on the carriage arm it does bounce back up. When applying the 9 volt battery to the solder points it jumps. Is it safe to assume its a motherboard? And with less than one week of use..is this common? TIA

Hopefully you grounded the cutter to the stand if you have one.  Does the cutter do the test feature?  If all is well, them maybe you have communication problems.  Make sure the device manager com port numbers matches the software com port number.  Don't plugin your vinyl cutter when the computer is turned on.   Plug it in while the computer is off, and fully booted.  then start your vinyl cutter. 

1 minute ago, lilsammie2007 said:

I do not have a stand it is on a wooden table. It does not work properly with the test feature.

Make sure the carriage head is in the middle of the cutter and not up against a reset button.  If that doesn't work.  Call UScutter tomorrow.   The grounding is because of the static in the vinyl. The static needs to go somewhere or it will fry the electronics. 

• Like 1

skeeter is right - call support as it sounds a lot like a mainboard - without the metal stand and ground wire you might have trouble and need to look into keeping the humidity higher in the room with the plotter - as skeeter said the static builds up in the vinyl and discharges thru the carriage if it has no where else to go - 

I believe USCutter sells a grounding kit that dangles a metal wire onto the vinyl as it feeds into the cutter allowing you to ground the vinyl without a stand. I'd suggest getting something like that, or better yet get a stand. They are very handy to have.

If your cutting head does not go up when you turn it on then the z-chip has most likely gotten fried. Since the cutter is new and under warranty call them and have them take care of it. If it was not under warranty, and you can handle a soldering iron, it is possible to replace the chip for a few dollars.

1 hour ago, darcshadow said:

I believe USCutter sells a grounding kit that dangles a metal wire onto the vinyl as it feeds into the cutter allowing you to ground the vinyl without a stand. I'd suggest getting something like that, or better yet get a stand. They are very handy to have.

If your cutting head does not go up when you turn it on then the z-chip has most likely gotten fried. Since the cutter is new and under warranty call them and have them take care of it. If it was not under warranty, and you can handle a soldering iron, it is possible to replace the chip for a few dollars.

they used to - I looked for the copper tinsel set they sold last night and could not find it anymore