Sign in to follow this  
Zeppelin1007

Plugged My SC2 into USB. It blew up.

Hey guys. Uh., Im really puzzled on this one. 

I purchased a refurbished 53" SC2 from USCutter. Arrived a week later. I set it up. Didnt get around to hooking it up to the computer. Plugged in the 120Vac and ran the "test" function a few times with the pen plotter and a piece of paper. All seemed to go well. 

Decided to get around to actually cutting something today. Installed Vinylmaster. Plugged in the usb...and really bad things happened. 

You know that smell, that you sure aren't supposed to smell around electronics? yeah. That's what this cutter did. 

I peeked at the motherboard. One of the Toshiba Stepper driver chips is nice and black around 2-3 pins and has the burnt smell. 

Mind you, the machine wasn't even turned on. No fuses blew. It's plotted before from the test program. I havent checked to see if the PSU is ok.

I'll be calling USCutter support Monday in hopes of a replacement motherboard...dang! I cant even comprehend how USB would blow a stepper driver?

PS i own several CNC machines I've built, imported, or rebuilt myself, so I'm no stranger to the internals. Im genuinely puzzled at this one. 

Anyone else heard of this? Similar experiences? Maybe next time around I'll go with good ole serial port instead. 

• Sad 1

my first plotter was a p-cut 12 (?) years ago - plugged it in and during one of the first cuts (I worked afternoons and got around to this at about 2am) a capacitor had been installed backwards on the power supply and blew.  sounded like a shotgun going off in the basement causing heart palpitations.   after installing a new power supply and finding out it also took out the mainboard and after that finding out it had taken out the controls - I paid to mail it back for replacement - been smooth sailing on all the cutters after that.   so yeah I have heard of something like that - really sux to go thru it but with the thousands they sell it happens.

• Like 2

Personally when I called I would insist on a new main board and power supply, maybe a power problem and the installed a new board when “ refurbed”. And it did that before.  

• Like 1

Well atleast im not alone! Surprised the toshiba TB0660xxx chips are in these. Every CNC noob makes the mistake of using em. Myself included.

Still beyond puzzled. Powered up fine. Add usb while its off..boom. 

Ill test the psu tomorrow. Man i was looking forward to finally using it too.

• Like 1