Sign in to follow this  
allmeansmedia

What software can I use with the FC 5100-150 cutter?

I have recently purchased an older Graphtec FC 5100-150. It's literally in like new condition. I went online and downloaded cutting master 2 software from Graphtecamerica.com only to find out that it is not compatible with the newer Illustrator. So then I hear that I can only use Cut Master 4 with the 2018 Illustrator program but can anyone tell me if CM4 compatable with the FC 5100-150? If so, how much does it cost? Is there any other software I might be able to use?  Thank you in advance for any help!!

You can use Flexi products,  Vinyl Master, (from the Vinyl Master site) Signcut.   Signblazer is  a FREE trial forever.   As far as I know Cutmaster 4 is FREE, but I don't know if it works for your cutter.  I have the FC7000-MK2-75 and have been using Flexistarter8.6 since 2008 with it., 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, allmeansmedia said:

Ok I've downloaded but now I can not seem to open any of my illustrator files into signblazer.

You will have to save your .ai files back to version 8, and import them,  as Signblazer has not been updated for many years and will not be.  Owner passed away years back. 

• Like 1

I don't run the CC version of Illustrator but when you go to "Save As" like MZ Skeeter mentioned it will show you what file type you are saving in (Illustrator) and then on the next page there is a drop menu that lets you choose an older format. Version 8 is typically the best legacy version that works with other software. Version 8 does not allow multiple art boards and a few other things that cause file transfer issues. If version 8 doesn't get it done you can also change the file type to eps in the previous page.  

I also agree with Skeeter that CM4 or any of the versions are supposed to be free to use for any Graphtec owner and I would be surprised if it wouldn't run your older cutter.  

• Thanks 1

Great info but it still get a "Error 1 Instruction not recognized" message and it cuts random lines until I stop it.

The Graphtec support told me that CM2 is the version that runs my model (FC5100-150) But I could not import any of my designs into it. I tried every one of the save as options.

So I called them again and they said that CM4 has been known to work but apparently with some install trick. They ultimately told me that they do not support this model anymore.
So Now I got SignCutPro2 downloaded and it makes the cutter work after sending a job to cut but with that Error 1 code.

cm2 is a plug in for AI. Not sure how you use them in AI. In corel I just send the file to cm with the plug in. No loading the file.

Did they tell you what error 1 is?

• Like 1

You must make sure the cutter is on the correct command.  GP-GL is for Graphtec software only.   HP-GL is for software other than Graphtec software.   Signblazer ,  Signcut etc. 

Did you see this cutter work before you bought it? If so, what software were they using? 

• Like 1

Have you tried to save your AI files to .eps like Goose suggested?

• Like 1

So I downloaded a trial version of the software he used with his machine, Flexi 12. They insisted they would help me trouble shoot the problem and get my machine connected to their software. Upon initial troubleshooting, we find out that my cable is not allowing communication. So I went to a computer supply here in town and purchased the proper cable. Still isn't working but I'm getting closer! Thank you all sincerely for your comments and input. It has all helped pushing me forward toward resolving this. I will update everyone tomorrow!