point blank design

Hooked up SC and cannot cut or find port

I broke out the plotter after it being in storage for over a year and am having problems cutting vinyl.

I am using Flexi 10 on a Windows laptop. I researched off and on for two days, made sure drivers are current, and followed all the great advice and suggestions I found here in the forums, but I am still having a problem getting the PC to recognize the plotter.

I either get the typical cannot find port, or holding error messages. I went through the setup steps, but am wondering if I have the wrong plotter selected. I have an SC 34".

Thanks for any help, I know this should be easy, I used this plotter for years!

You plotter should appear in device manager under comm ports. Check there and see what port has been assigned to it. I do not use Flexi, but I believe you need to have the comm port set to something less than 4. Once you have it set in Windows go to Flexi and make sure it is using the correct port.

Make sure you go to Production manager and ADD setup. Then match your com port numbers. After you download , extract and run the driver, make sure that you reboot your computer,  With the cutter turned on, it should show which comport #,  Then match it  in Flexi production manager. 

Darcshadow, Thx for the response. I came down with pneumonia shortly after posting this.

I'm still in hospital hooked up to O2 and IV's so it may be tough to troubleshoot but I figure I can maybe learn what I need in the meantime.

How do I know which port is which on a PC?

I am not Darcshadow , but  You go into your device manager on the computer. Look under your com ports It shows which com port  # is being used, If you can't tell unplug it, then plug it back in.  Your SC is a Liyu. You must match your Flexi set up com port number with the com port number in your computer device manager.   Also with the value cutters, it is best to only plug the cutter into the computer when the computer is turned off. or it may assign a new com port number. Or the best thing is to leave the cutter plugged in all the time as a dedicated computer. I have always used Flexi software. 

Hope you get to feeling better:D

So my buddy's son gave me a brand new plotter the other day. I went and picked it up and it turns out it is exactly like what I have, another SC! What is the chance of that?

I went ahead and hooked it up and sure enough it worked as is should. I then plugged my old one in and yup, it also worked. I am baffled, I made no changes of any kind besides the plotter. Weird...

I am now in the middle of another problem, different topic, maybe I will see you guys on this next topic. Thanks again for the help!

Jonathan

IMG_20190411_092431.jpg

Edited by point blank design
Added photo

On 3/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, MZ SKEETER said:

I am not Darcshadow , but  You go into your device manager on the computer. Look under your com ports It shows which com port  # is being used, If you can't tell unplug it, then plug it back in.  Your SC is a Liyu. You must match your Flexi set up com port number with the com port number in your computer device manager.   Also with the value cutters, it is best to only plug the cutter into the computer when the computer is turned off. or it may assign a new com port number. Or the best thing is to leave the cutter plugged in all the time as a dedicated computer. I have always used Flexi software. 

Hope you get to feeling better:D

Thanks MZ SKEETER, I am finally feeling better, it's been a long road to recovery. I actually have energy for the first time in months! 

I was able to go through and label the ports, I ended up with com 6 as the port that worked.

The new plotter came with a newer cable to hook it up, I am thinking the old cable was the issue as it really cannot be anything else.

Thanks to Darcshadow as well, this is a great community!

Jonathan