Guest Cindy

Newbie Question-Working with SVG file

Guest Cindy

I'm brand new to Vinyl Master and have never used any similar software, so pardon the stupid question :)  A friend has a metal fabrication business and sent me a vector image of a sign he cut out.  He cut his company name out of the center of a piece of metal so in the file, the name/text is "negative space" while the square around it is the object.  How can I fill in the text and make that a separate object so I can get rid of the square and work only with the name?

Have you just tried to delete the four nodes that comprise the corners of the box?

Guest Cindy

I haven't tried that.  I was thinking it would leave me with nothing since the text isn't recognized as a separate object.  I can try it this evening and see if it works.  Thanks!

There is an option for rearranging objects front-to-back, have you tried dropping the box to the back so it's no longer at the forefront?

Guest Cindy

I will try this as well and post my results.  Thanks for the help!  I've watched hours of YouTube, but there is a lot to this software :) 

In VM you should be able to select the object and then go to Curves>Break Apart and it will separate all the pieces. Then you can decide what to discard. 

Guest Cindy

Deleting nodes worked.  Thanks so much for the help!

Glad to here, the other ways mentioned will likely work too. There are usually 3 or 4 ways of doing something, especially in the vector world, it's just a matter of figure out which way makes the most sense for you in a given situation.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.