Sign in to follow this  
bikemike

3G opaque

Has anyone ever tried this, or is there something out there I have not found.

What I want to do is print a couple of words on 3G opaque (will be pattern print, not solid color) then contour cut. All the letters are separate so I would have to place them separately. That would not be the best.

Anyone have an idea on doing this?

I was thinking print, contour cut, weed and use a piece of sticky backing from regular HTV to get the letters of the backing and on the shirt.

Any thoughts on this, or anyone tried, or can I actually buy something to do that?

I think it would work if the carrier has enough sticky left. They make a specific transfer mask for that kind of thing but I have usually found them a little lacking in tack to get the 3G to pull up very good. I would do a test on something else first in case it has an issue. 

• Like 1

Well, gave it a shot. Regular HTV carrier is no where close to tacky enough. Had some other stuff that had a real sticky carrier and tried it.

It is not a lot of fun, but it can be done. This one looks better from a distance, but I had nothing to base sizes of graphic or anything else on, so it was a shot in the dark really.

Would I do it again? Probably, but no more than a one off.

Need to find out what that mask stuff is called. Searched and couldn't find anything on it.

20190303_195703.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfatty500 said:

Not really sure what you're trying to do, but what about rhinestone transfer tape?

Trying to get the 3G off the backing and transfer it like regular HTV. I don't want any of the background, just the cut out parts.

The stuff is like trying to stick tape to a piece of chalk.

I'm not a fan of 3G although it's as good as I have ever found for dark shirts. I still occasionally use it for printed needs on one off stuff but I always make my design a large single piece and just peel it up and lay it on there. Most times it's some ones face or something like that in a raster format. 

4 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

I'm not a fan of 3G although it's as good as I have ever found for dark shirts. I still occasionally use it for printed needs on one off stuff but I always make my design a large single piece and just peel it up and lay it on there. Most times it's some ones face or something like that in a raster format. 

Agreed. I thought about the effect of having it cut out with a pattern fill and liked the idea, and how it turned out.

Not sure if any will even sell, but wanted it on my list of offerings.

Looks like the stuff I need is magic mask high tack. Found it at Stahls for $8 something for 1 yard x 20 inch. Add in shipping and handling and it is $20.