Hey everyone,

It was mentioned in another thread that we should list our day job/ passion.

i am guessing that most of us on here don't cut vinyl as a day job.

What is your day job?

How did you get into vinyl cutting?

I have been in the Ford parts business for 27 years. Enter your jokes here!

I got into vinyl by accident- I wanted to airbrush rc truck bodies, masking was too tedious, tried frisket- not sticky enough, got some paint mask- its a pain to cut by hand

started looking at cutters - BANG yup i'm hooked, did some decals for friends, got some more inquiries, started a home business, busy all the time now and Very happy!

I still haven't painted a truck body!

Thats funny i got mine to paint xbox 360s and still haven,t done one yet i might do some paint masks soon for my jato 3.3 body

Joe that is a scary thought right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :police::o

Jason, I didnt mean to scare you. Why did you have to picture it? Its your fault! LOL

If I had pictured it, I wouldnt be typing this right now!!! In fact, I probably would still be over the commode being sick!!!!! :o

Almost a  year to the day this was great reading and I am brining it alive again.  I am retired but was a Detective & Arson investigator for the City of Poughkeepsie in New York. 

Hi FireMalt

vinyls my full time, has been for 4 years  :o

Mail Man here ;D

I'll see ads from time to time that the post office is hiring, but I found out it's NOT so easy to get a job there!  :-

A year ago my health went to He** and had to quit working at my job that I just Loved. Depression set in and anyone that's dealt with that knows how that is.  Well, stayed in the house and didn't do a thing but stay on the puter all day. One day I accidentally ran across an ebay ad for US Cutter, then this forum........................  bought the LP24" and haven't had a "Bad" day since.  Me and my family believe that Ken, US Cutter and everyone in this forum probably saved my life. (Not trying to get mushy.. just speaking fact) Thank-you everyone...  ;D

Seedent, I'm glad purchasing a cutter and the forum has helped you and your family!  It's amazing how something can change your outlook!! GOOD FOR YOU!!  ;D

Was truck driver hauling explosives for 3 years.Framing carpenter for 15 years.<still work this job parttime> 4 Days a week i am a machinist that makes wire used to cut silicon wafers for the solar panel industry.3 days a week is split between carpentery and vinyl buisness. Wife runs vinyl buisness as her full time job now. Was a secretary for candy wholesaler before quitting to run this.

I missed this fun thread until now  ;D . ( I'll have to read the whole thing soon )

I am a stand-up Philosopher primarily  :o  ( I'm thinking Jon will get that part 1rst ) .

I also am self-employed in the excavation-septic system installation business as well as mobile home removal ( & selling the good units I don't scrap ) . I do whatever big trucks & equipment can do .

Guest fivestar

dangard how many "Idol" signs did you make for Chris Allen?  I see you're from the same town he is.

Guest round2racing

Database Administrator here.  I run the Inventory and Equipment for a construction company specializing in dewatering excavation sites.

I am one semester away from my RN (am a retired paramedic), but can't quit my job to finish.

I actually bought the cutter just to work for our racing team, but once I got started, I was hooked.  My LP24 is almost like crack.

I can't wait to get home in the evening so I can work with it.

I placed a couple of craigslist ads and on posted on the race track classifieds.

I have my first "real" paying job this weekend.

Everyone just assumes that since I am family or a friend, that they can just request things and have me cut them.

WOW, they're right........LOL

Working for the state correctional system for the past 24 years  - managed stores before that but got sidetracked when there were no jobs.  Now I am hooked for another 3 years 2 months, 1 week 3 days until my Earliest Release Date.  Probably will get a 12 month flop then, unless the sign and t-shirt stuff keeps growing then the ERD will be good enough!

Graphic designer at an automotive marketing company (for now). Freelance design as well. Bought the vinyl cutter to mess around with it, t-shirts and such. Not done a lot with it yet. I get enough time in front of the computer at the day job.

dangard how many "Idol" signs did you make for Chris Allen?  I see you're from the same town he is.

Actually not the 1st one. Never watch idol and didn't know he was in the running until last week. ;D May have missed out on that as looks like everyone around here has a stand set up on all the street corners.

32 years in the film industry, starting as a set builder for the first few years then onto lighting.  Most of the set building was done at night, and would often need sign writing, I later bought a cutter and set up an overnight sign service to cater for set builders.  The lighting side took over, with a lot of time away from home & overseas on films, I put the sign cutting on hold for a few years.  After finishing with films I set up a small sign shop for quite a few years, I'm retired now, and just do the odd sign for pleasure.                     

<---  20 years Driving trucks...currently driving for a major specialty gas supplier hauling carbon dioxide (the stuff that puts the bubbles in your beer!)  and learning the vinyl business on the side doing stickers for friends.  Hoping to start messing around at a flea market on the weekends soon as soon as I get a little better on inkscape and SBE. 

I owned a custom car/truck business for 8 years then bought my first cutter. Sold the car biz and now I am a full time sticker guy with 2 retail locations her in Indiana...

Owner /Operator of Jumpers,Tables and Chairs rental business doing this for 5 years. Before that worked in a Sign shop for 5 years as an installer.And before that i was a telephone technician for 7 years. Got into vinyl when i got intruduce to it at the sign shop i completely feel in love with the process cutting,weeding,installing.The In house Graphic designer had a extra roland camm1 laying around and let me use it for a while to do banners for my lowriding car club. And bammmm i was hooked on the easy money.2 years later purchased my own mh721 plotter to make banners for my jumper business and to do up my delivery truck.......Ever since then i use my cutter to make money weekly either makeing banners or decals or T-shirts.......But my full time job is a stay at home dad looking after my 2 year old daughter waitng for wife to get home to jump on the computer to talk to you all.And design some new stuff....................... ;D   

I am a full time Ground Service Equipment mechanic for one of the worlds largest contractor companies at EWR (Newark) Airport) here in New Jersey. I am the guy that usually has to fix the equipment that lost your baggage, got you onto the plane late, or broke as your flight was pushing back. I'll add a formal apology for that...sorry.

Aside from that, I am a part-time failed entrepreneur, I wholesale High Intensity Discharge/HID/Xenon lights to a few shops around here and sell them on craigslist also. I am trying to get my t-shirt business in gear, my vinyl business in gear and my clothing label. Aside from that, I just sit at this computer surfing this forum.

I am a full time Ground Service Equipment mechanic for one of the worlds largest contractor companies at EWR (Newark) Airport) here in New Jersey. I am the guy that usually has to fix the equipment that lost your baggage, got you onto the plane late, or broke as your flight was pushing back. I'll add a formal apology for that...sorry.

Aside from that, I am a part-time failed entrepreneur, I wholesale High Intensity Discharge/HID/Xenon lights to a few shops around here and sell them on craigslist also. I am trying to get my t-shirt business in gear, my vinyl business in gear and my clothing label. Aside from that, I just sit at this computer surfing this forum.

So it was you that made have all those long layovers at the lovely Newark airport.....

Hey guys, I'm a shop foreman for a Custom Metal Fabrication shop that specializes in polished stainless steel (mostly commercial kitchens and upscale residential).  We make countertops, wall coverings, cabinets, vent hoods, etc.  However, we do it all, and I do it all there, from design, layout, tig and mig weld, to scheduling jobs and maintenance.  I enjoy my day job very much, and have it made, however I go into looking for a cutter when it was getting pricey for my friends and I to customize our cars, and it gives me another hobby that will maybe stimulates itself along the way.

Depends on who you were flying with, but probably was. You know you love Newark!

So it was you that made have all those long layovers at the lovely Newark airport.....