Hey everyone,

It was mentioned in another thread that we should list our day job/ passion.

i am guessing that most of us on here don't cut vinyl as a day job.

What is your day job?

How did you get into vinyl cutting?

I have been in the Ford parts business for 27 years. Enter your jokes here!

I got into vinyl by accident- I wanted to airbrush rc truck bodies, masking was too tedious, tried frisket- not sticky enough, got some paint mask- its a pain to cut by hand

started looking at cutters - BANG yup i'm hooked, did some decals for friends, got some more inquiries, started a home business, busy all the time now and Very happy!

I still haven't painted a truck body!

Guest Terry

Ok.... FORD, found on Russian dump. found on road dead. Oh never mind I'd be here all day listing them.  :thumbsup:

I am a CAD/CAM System Admin for an aerospace parts supplier. We used to be part of Boeing but they sold us a few years ago. I maintain the CAD workstations, do training, assist users in use of CATIA, a high end 3D CAD system. I have done N/C programming in the past. I have wanted a vinyl cutter for a number of years. last fall my wife went to a home interior party where they were selling vinyl lettering. She was interested in buying some so I suggested we buy a cutter instead. We bought our PCut last November.

RCNUT, here is a link that may interest you. If you're UAW close your ears to the last 15 seconds.

http://info.detnews.com/video/index.cfm?id=1189

Guest fivestar

This is my "day job" well part of it.  I own a computer repair/sales business and the wife and I own a flowershop.  Between the 2 I stay "fairly" busy.  :thumbsup:

THis is my day job but when I'm not working I play the drums and work on computers.

Ok.... FORD, found on Russian dump. found on road dead. Oh never mind I'd be here all day listing them.  ;D

Ha Ha, haven't heard the Russian one before!!

People can say what they want- I'm on commission- 6.0 diesels pay for groceries!

:)

My husband and I own a commercial printing company (paper).

This is an experimental offshoot that I do for fun and someday profit. Haven't made a dime with it yet, but it has more than paid for itself in my eyes  ;D

Work for a larger maintenance company as a manager. 

Got into vinyl because I love the whole aspect of it, minus the little headaches from time to time.

Graphic artist @ a print shop during the day / Graphic artist @ home during the night.

JOe

Guest kenya

My husband & I own and operate an aluminum & glass shop for the last 24 years. We install mirrors, shower doors, build screen rooms & pool enclosures.

A few store front customers wanted some lettering done. So after thinking, I decided to buy a cutter. What a great thing! My first attempt at lettering was our company trucks. My last project was lettering our boat..... calling it "Job Site".

I don't have all the design skills, but love the lettering. I love laying out a new idea. I'm having alot of fun with my cutter. I opened the box, connected the usb cable and it's been nonstop. I've also been doing decals for family & friends. You become everyone's friend when they find out you have a cutter-lol.

My next project is a new sign in front of the shop, then I want to cut some reflective vinyl for our horse trailer. It's truely endless what this can do.

I haven't made any money with it, I have alot to learn before I start charging for it.

This site is great. I find myself reading alot & I learn something new everyday. And I really appreciate all the help from everyone here.

I'm a shop foreman for a CNC machine shop.  We have lots of cool toys.

I'm a salesman/mechanic/purchaser/designer/cleaning crew/cover my boss's but for a construction equipment dealer.

hmmmmm....day job ?i think i'm kinda retired....kinda moved to daytona beach 4 yrs ago. to ride one of my bikes  or go the beach 24/7....now it seems all i do is play with my......cutter!!!and i thought i retired!!!but am honestly having a ball w/cutter!

Been working for a local fire department since 1999, got promoted to operator in 2005. 11 more years, and I'll be ready to retire with 20 years of service @ the young age of 44  :)

I also work for a local college, as a skills instructor at the fire academy.

I only work 9 days(24 hour shifts) a month at my career fire department, so I bought my cutter to waste the other 21 days each month.  :)

Guest sciondrgn

Network Engineer for a major telephone company >.>

I work for a major automotive interiors company. The plant I work in builds seats for the Ford Exploder.

Contract runs out on the Exploder in 2009 so I may be cutting vinyl full time very soon! :)

I also have a lawn care business. It is very small I only cut about 8 acres each week. Used to be about three times that a few years ago.

Well, by day, I am a Corrections Officer at the county jail. It pays the bills, and thats about it.

I also have a my own business where I sell and install emergency lights and sirens. I had been wanting a cutter for a while, and never could find one that was affordable.

That is until I found USCutter. So, now I have been able to add vinyl graphics and lettering to my business. It has actually done better sales wise that my main products have.

I have been thinking about doing a little bit of advertising to see if I might could get a little bit more.

my day job is commercial printing paper such bus cards, stationary, etc. added t shirts about 3 years ago. purchased vinyl cutter in feb

so this is my day shop.

Been working for a local fire department since 1999, got promoted to operator in 2005. 11 more years, and I'll be ready to retire with 20 years of service @ the young age of 44  :)

I also work for a local college, as a skills instructor at the fire academy.

I only work 9 days(24 hour shifts) a month at my career fire department, so I bought my cutter to waste the other 21 days each month.  :)

Sounds like me.  I work 16 days out of the month and they are so spread out that I very rarely see a 5 day work week.  I got my cutter to do graphics since it's sort of a hobby and out of all the hobbies I have, at least one should at least pay for itself and pay for the others...........

Let's see .. jack of all trades, master of none ..

Retired contract screenprint company owner/retired commercial helicopter pilot/disabled veteran .. Hang out in a computer shop all day long, but don't work for them. Bought the cutter and set it up there to try and help a divorced daughter start a business that will pay the bills better than working in a day care does, and to let me play with t-shirt designs via contour cutting.

Also have her set up as a distributor/reseller of heat transfer papers which is going ape crap on us. I've got a lot of samples to get sent to folks on this forum, but didn't plan for samples and packaging has caused a rif :-( Got packaging for sales stuff, but didn't count on samples. The 4P's .. p*** poor prior planning.

Oh, and we also sell ad specialty/promotional products, and I still print a cap every now and again for some of my old customers.

Almost forgot, own a webhosting company where we specialize in hosting websites for Veterans and/or their families. This is more a labor of love than anything commercial.

If I were a good marketer I could get by with just one of these things, then again lots of folks spout multiple streams of income philosophies .... Me, I just like to tinker with things, and ideas.

Im a Network Engineer for an ISP up here in Philly by day, Pinball, video game restorer at night now adding vinyl cutter to the fray. I have done my first replacement side art for a pinball. yay!

*jump*

Wayne

I`m a master carpenter have been doing this for 35yrs.

Do finish work only now.

Went to computer school a few years ago (nights) for a year while still working,had too

many computers,needed to make money with the things.

A friend got me started doing stickers.

Hope to retire at the end of this year and do graphics full time.

mark-s

Design and Manufacture products for General Aviation. Got the cutter to make placards and cut-out poster board templates for instrument panels.