Sign in to follow this  
HMasto

Help, Names peeling off Jerseys

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some quick advice. I had an opportunity to put names on the back of Jerseys. Of course it looks great after I finished them but now the names are peeling off after wash. I am using a heat press at 300 with sister easy weed, What could be going on and what advice do you have? I have no problem with cotton this jersey material is driving me batty!

Were the jerseys new or washed?  Sometimes washing causes problems.   Did you pre press to remove moisture before applying!    Betting wild goose will be around shortly, he is our garment expert 

9 minutes ago, bikemike said:

What are they made of?

They are made of 100% Polyester

12 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Were the jerseys new or washed?  Sometimes washing causes problems.   Did you pre press to remove moisture before applying!    Betting wild goose will be around shortly, he is our garment expert 

I did not pre press, Should I do that with the teflon layer or without? They where New.

Thanks!

Always pre press that part really doesn’t matter if Teflon or not if press is clean

• Like 1

Temp is a bit low. Should be 305. How long did you press for?

Did the texture of the jersey show through on the easy weed?

I always press for the recommended time, peal then press again for half the time with parchment paper. Never had a problem.

• Like 2

THANK YOU, I am replacing the names today.

I pressed for 15 Should I press for longer? 

Let goose chime in here.

I think your temp was a bit low and time was minimal.

IMO correct temp and maximum or longer press time would work better than minimums.

And ya, pressure has to be there.

Also, how close the seams where the names? They will prevent the correct pressure needed.

• Like 3

Sorry man I was out of town all weekend. I do jerseys all the time. Biggest problem with jerseys is getting a good press. They have all sorts of thick sewn seams and such that can hold the press up off the actual place you need the pressure. I have several sizes of press pillows that allow the pressure to be correct. 305 is recommended and 15 seconds is plenty I think they recommend 12-15 but I go 15 because I have an upper platen cover which I think needs the full count to be sure I get all the way to temperature. 

I have a leg platen for my Fusion which will usually let me slide the shoulders on for football style jerseys but before I bought my fandancy press I used a 6"x 16" press pillow across there or just a full sized 15" pillow sometimes depending on the size of the garments. I have different platen sizes with my press and STILL find times I need to use one of my pillows so if you don't have one buy one (or more). 

Definitely pre-press to remove moisture as noted and if there are other elements on the shirt like numbers or something that will be touched by the platen then use a cover sheet. I like to use parchment paper (like for baking cookies). It will withstand hundreds of press cycles and nothing sticks to it and you can buy it at walmart. Having an upper platen cover is really nice because you don't have to worry about that kind of thing. I didn't run one until I accidentally bought one thinking it was a replacement for my lower platen. Now that I have it I wish I had ran it long ago.  

• Like 2

So try for the late reply, I did try what you all recommend and it seemed to help much better. I don't know how they wash or dry them but I haven't gotten any reply back that they have peeled, Thank you for all of your advice.

• Like 1