w2dvr

sc2 software mac

i have a sc2 and i use a mac right now i use scal4 I'm trying to find out if theres any other software i can use with my set up

Hiya buddy, let's see if it's possible to get you up and running.

My understanding is Parallels enables Windows-executable files to function on macs. Having said that, you might wish to download and install SignBlazerELEMENTS v7.0.0 (hybrid) and set the SC2 as LiYu type when choosing in cutter SetUp.

Report back to us what you discover in getting this actually functioning on the first try.

• Like 1

Cutting software on the Mac side is really, really  limited compared to Windows. Right now, SCAL/P is the obvious front-runner.

If you're willing to bootcamp/VM Fusion/Parallels your Mac, then the you'd have a lot more options to choose from.

I use the old SignCut Pro 1 with my mac and have not tried the Pro 2 version. I own a dongle for Pro 1 and design in Illustrator so I probably won't be going to Pro 2 but they have a free trial that would be worth trying out if you are looking for something else. Best part about SignCut is that it will run on either platform so if one day you wanted to change to pc (heaven forbid) you're still good to go. I actually cut from an older windows 7 laptop and transfer my files over from my design station via thumb drive. If that computer does the monthly blue screen at the wrong time I can wheel the cutter across the room and connect the iMac and keep on working. 

• Like 1

While not a true cutting program, it is possible to cut from Inkscape. You don't have all the fancy options of a true cutting program, but it gets the job done.

I'm a Mac user, but run Windows 10 in Parallels for things like this, and also have a PC laptop for that purpose. I chose VinylMaster rather than the Mac software, thinking it might be more full featured. Has anyone made a comparison of features between the Windows and Mac options? My needs are pretty simple, so I'd like to move to Mac native if the basic stuff can be done with it.

I'm not sure what the Mac version of SignCut looks like, but I can tell you that the windows version looks very similar to VM.

I run a Mac with Parallels - so much easier to cut that way, than to do native and re-learn software that is Mac compatible. Others will definitely say differently, but I guess it comes down to how much time and willingness you have to learn a new software, and how often you're in the Parallels environment. I was in it all the time, so it was a very seamless thing for me.

The only cutting software I now have for the Mac environment is from Graphtec, and I can tell you that the Mac version is so much more limiting than the Windows version.

• Like 2

I run a mac for most things, here's my take. IF you design in some other program such as Adobe Illustrator and are simply using the program as a cutter interface the SignCut program is the way to go for mac IMO. I have not tried out the new SignCut Pro 2 so can't speak to how much design ability is there but Pro 1 which I use has no design ability and is just for cutting designs from other programs. If you want to design in a mac environment and don't already have skills and access to a design program the Sure Cut's a Lot is the only offering from USCutter and most of us who do graphics a lot are underwhelmed by it's ability so you probably have a better choice doing the parallels with VM like you say you have already chosen.  IF just using the cut version I would certainly take a peek at SignCut pro 2 with the free trial and maybe it would be a viable option. You will pay for Signcut and it's not all that cheap. I think you can get a higher level of VM for similar investment but would be stuck with running parallels forever. SignCut does offer the advantage of being cross platform compatible compared to VM so you could load it into either mac or pc and bounce around between the two but if you don't own a dongle that is a more limited thing with only a certain amount of moves before having to call in and get authorization ( 5 moves I think). With the dongle you can have it loaded and viable on all your computers and just move around with the dongle (usb key) to which ever one suits your notion that day. 

• Like 1