Sign in to follow this  
Pixels Edge

Cutting Overlap

I just purchased a 28" MH 871-MK2.  It is setup and has cut test images.  I am running Windows 8 and using Vinyl Master Cut V4.0 uilizing a serial port connection.   I imported and outlined Illustrator file of nothing but large letters approximately 3" tall and when it cuts it is not recognizing all of the spacing between letters and the cutter is overlapping the cut letters.  I also set the same letters within the Vinyl Master software  and sent that to the cutter with the same result.  Any thoughts?

Does VM not allow you to type your text directly into the software? That will get you the cleanest results, which should be WYSIWYG

I did try typing it directly into Vinyl Master which was a little better than the imported AI file.  The previous photo showing the letters "P" and "u" were set in Vinyl Master.

I have never seen anything like that - and not sure if it is an optical illusion but the letters look jagged in the picture - and you say that was just inserting text using the text tool in vinylmaster?

Ditto Scott.

The only think that comes to mind immediately, and it shouldn't happen - is that there isn't enough slack on the vinyl coming through the cut window. Like the pinch rollers/grit bar isn't forwarding the vinyl enough. But I think if that were the case, it would look a little more wonky than what your picture looks like. Hmmm.

26 minutes ago, Pixels Edge said:

I did try typing it directly into Vinyl Master which was a little better than the imported AI file.  The previous photo showing the letters "P" and "u" were set in Vinyl Master.

check your PM's

Sorry I had to leave last night but to answer a couple of the questions, the cuts are not jaggy they are clean.  I apologize but I am a NEWBY to the US Cutter family can you clarify what "PM's" stands for?  I am going to take a look at the slack in the vinyl roll as well this morning.  Something I noticed is that there is an imprint of the metal friction roller being left on the vinyl is that a sign that the tension for the vinyl grippers are too tight?  I did not adjust those during assembly and I have left them at factory settings.

One thing I want to also mention is that the cuts from the imported AI file were much more overlapped then the cuts from the text set within Vinyl Master.  I have attached a second photo showing the vinyl cut using the imported AI file.  I also discovered that a star had been cut at sometime prior either as part of a test or.... I really don't know where that came from.

Cut Vinyl Showing overlap #2.JPG

pm = private message- a file for you to try is there - look for the little envelope at the top right of your screen

do not adjust the pressure rollers as that imprint is normal and will go away when the vinyl is applied - many a newbie has messed up a perfectly good machine by loosening those

always pre feed the vinyl and do not make the machine pull the vinyl off a roll

Success!  I rolled out additional vinyl to provide more slack and instead of setting the file up vertically to fit the 24" dimension of the vinyl I broke the text in two and ran it on the 24" dimension horizontally. 

I am going to run some additional test because it would be beneficial for me to run my files vertically within the 24" width of the vinyl.  I will share any useful information I gain from my testing this weekend.

Thanks to everyone who offered assistance, I was greatly appreciated!

Cut Vinyl NO OVERLAP.JPG

• Like 1

You did not state how fast your running the vinyl cutter, but maybe slow it down,  and they are right about the vinyl slack, always have enough vinyl slack to do your order.  Make sure your pinch rollers are the equal distance from the side of the vinyl.  Like both sides 1 1/2 inch  in from side of vinyl.   The tracks don't hurt a thing.

• Like 2

Do the MH machines have fully adjustable placement pinch rollers, or are they "designated area" locations like on some of the newer machines?

Are the cuts clean when tit does get cut, because from the pictures, it looks a little wavy.

MH and SC2 use grit rollers (lower rollers) across the entire width and the pinch-rollers can be set anywhere (except right in the middle where there's a gap).

The LP3 and Titans have the pre-set positions.

• Like 2