slice&dice

The Math Doesn't Add Up

A brand-new MH871 cutter (with stand) is now promoted as costing $301.35 -- on sale.

The Refurbished 871 is listed as $255.96

That's $45.39 savings, but there's no stand with the refurbished unit.
USCUTTER offers a stand for the 871 (34") at $69.99 (it's out of stock, anyway).

So, by ordering a Refurb. machine, I'll save $45 but lose a $70 value stand (and let's be honest, that stand is pretty important, since it has rollers to hold the vinyl rolls).

it doesn't surprise me that a separate stand would cost more - the extras are boxed and shipped separate and most items an included accessory is cheaper when purchased with the main product in most fields.   I believe most refurbs are either bought by people replacing similar older units or the people just looking for the lowest price and not taking into account the real need for a stand.   I also agree I cannot imagine buying a cutter without a stand.

There is one lesson here --  It's a very attractive bargain of $301.35 that anyone can pay off easily, especially for those with a yen for playing around with a cool cutter and digging into VinylMaster (lots of fun to work with) and then going forwards towards better things ahead in 2020, so yes, that MH871 today is a great little bargain.

Toss in $200 worth of vinyl and app tape and banner materials and other stuff, you're right at $500 ----  where else is it possible to get going in a "paying hobby" on such a low budget? Nowhere, just here at USCutter!!!   

/end commercial

True, but at the same time, unless you have the patience and basic trouble shooting and computer skills the MH can easily discourage you and cause you to give up on the endeavor. The MH can be a great teacher if you're willing to work it but it is not a simple plug it in and go machine.

• Like 1

"it is not a simple plug it in and go machine."

For me it was really plug and play, from the out-of-the-box unpacking and assembly, to conecting with SignBlazer, to running cuts for long banners, signs, decals, day in and day out.

I had never run a cutter prior to that. The MH was never any trouble, except for the day I tripped over the USB cable, dislodging the USB plug itself from the board.

Today, I run the SC2 and it's all good.

19 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

"it is not a simple plug it in and go machine."

For me it was really plug and play, from the out-of-the-box unpacking and assembly, to conecting with SignBlazer, to running cuts for long banners, signs, decals, day in and day out.

I had never run a cutter prior to that. The MH was never any trouble, except for the day I tripped over the USB cable, dislodging the USB plug itself from the board.

Today, I run the SC2 and it's all good.

you have to admit though you are not the normal first time user.  you are special :)

I do have to admit, I had relatively little trouble as well, but it did take me awhile to get it dialed it in to handle the high detail I was wanting.

• Like 1