Pebbles1488

Cutter not initializing

Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter ? Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter ? Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter ?

You know I'm pulling your leg, Skeetz?!!   :ph34r:

9 hours ago, darcshadow said:

Are you using the serial cable that came with the cutter? That should be a null modem cable, if you're using a straight cable it will not work.

As has been said before, the make of usb-serial can be a factor and while the tripp lite version is known to work, there are others out there that will work as well. If the unit you bought is a true Prolific unit I would expect it to work, Prolific is a pretty good company, however there are a bunch of counterfeit chips that identify themselves as Prolific and are of a lesser quality.

I only received a USB cable with the cutter when I purchased it from USCutter.  So that is what I have been using this whole time.  The cutter works amazing with my desktop, but not with the new laptop.

23 hours ago, Dakotagrafx said:

#slice&dice  #darcshadow - we need someone that still has a value cutter to help :)

That would be amazing!  This is so frustrating!  I mean, I CAN just plug it back in to my desktop and it works FINE!  BUT.....I just went and spent all this money on the new laptop to make my life easier (eye roll)

5 minutes ago, deannasdecals said:

That would be amazing!  This is so frustrating!  I mean, I CAN just plug it back in to my desktop and it works FINE!  BUT.....I just went and spent all this money on the new laptop to make my life easier (eye roll)

How was the laptop going to make your life easier?   Slice and darcshadow did reply.  They are mostly the only regulars that have owned or used an MH cutter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MZ SKEETER said:

How was the laptop going to make your life easier?   Slice and darcshadow did reply.  

I bought the one that has the "tablet" capabilities with the pen function.  It cuts down my vectorizing and node editing time tremendously in he decals I make.  It's much easier for me than the traditional mouse option.  I like it much better.

9 minutes ago, deannasdecals said:

I bought the one that has the "tablet" capabilities with the pen function.  It cuts down my vectorizing and node editing time tremendously in he decals I make.  It's much easier for me than the traditional mouse option.  I like it much better.

You can still use it for that.  Ya know most of us regulars have a dedicated computer, just for vinyl cutting.  And we stay back on older windows, because they are more stable.  Many of us,  including myself, still use Windows XP, because it is more stable.  You do not need a fancy expensive computer to run a vinyl cutter.   I design, etc in another computer and send it to my email and just download it.. Then it is in my cutting computer. Pretty easy.  My design computer Windows 7 has a bigger screen, and my Flexidesigner software is there. I do my vinyl cutting on an old 2006 Toshiba, 15"  Windows XP

5 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

You can still use it for that.  Ya know most of us regulars have a dedicated computer, just for vinyl cutting.  And we stay back on older windows, because they are more stable.  Many of us,  including myself, still use Windows XP, because it is more stable.  You do not need a fancy expensive computer to run a vinyl cutter.   I design, etc in another computer and send it to my email and just download it.. Then it is in my cutting computer. Pretty easy.  My design computer Windows 7 has a bigger screen, and my Flexidesigner software is there. 

I've thought about trying to learn  a new cutting program, but I asked everyone I know if I would be able to transfer all my SBD files in.  I use them all A LOT!  That's one of my main concerns! 

7 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

kind of going out on a limb on this but have you called support?

I called US Cutter.....NO JOKE, 17 times......NO ONE has called me back!

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, deannasdecals said:

I've thought about trying to learn  a new cutting program, but I asked everyone I know if I would be able to transfer all my SBD files in.  I use them all A LOT!  That's one of my main concerns! 

There are many ways to transfer your files.   Personally,  I would not have bought the laptop.  I would have put the money on a better vinyl cutter . That cutter is a bottom of the barrel vinyl cutter, with many known problems. We see those problems constantly on here almost everyday.  We tell people not to buy that MH vinyl cutter. The much older MH cutters, didn't have as many problems, but the past 5 or so years.  many problems.

9 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Did you ever try to set the cutter up with a different cutting software?  Like try Vinyl Master trial.  and use the UScutter MH series setup.   That software is for Windows 10. 

http://www.iifuture.com/vmdemo/Ord_FreeTrial_VM_01_FC.html

I will download that now and give it a try.  Am I able to import the SBD files in to it, do you know?  Also, is there another plotter you can recommend in the $400-$500 range maybe?

I do not use Signblazer.   I use Flexi  software products. The SBD files are only for Signblazer.   Does Signblazer allow you to export files or SAVE AS  an .eps file.?  That you can import into Vinyl Master.   It is always best to save your files in a universal format that can be imported into any cutting software.  Most cutting software will import .eps files. 

34 minutes ago, deannasdecals said:

I will download that now and give it a try.  Am I able to import the SBD files in to it, do you know?  Also, is there another plotter you can recommend in the $400-$500 range maybe?

in signblazer you can export as .eps as skeeter says - very universal.  the SC2 is in your price range with more memory - some less problems and comes with vinylmaster cut (basic) software .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

in signblazer you can export as .eps as skeeter says - very universal.  the SC2 is in your price range with more memory - some less problems and comes with vinylmaster cut (basic) software .

Ok, and up from that, with LESS problems?  lol

then the titan2 servo cutters (the titans are the first that have a very solid usb chipset in them IMHO)   and finally the graphtecs that most of the old timers have.   I go on vacation for 3 weeks and come back within a minute cut decals with the graphtec - no drama just great cuts but at a much higher price than the value cutters

• Like 1

As for converting your signblazer files, there is no good way to do it other than one at a time. What I would do, is just leave them as Signblazer files till you need one, then open it and export it as an EPS then open it with your new cutting software...assuming you find one that you like and works for you.

However, I suspect the cutting software is not your problem and that the problem is you don't have the communications between the computer and the cutter setup right yet.

You said earlier you started using a USB-2-Serial adapter, what sort of serial cable are you using? Is it a null modem cable, or a straight cable?

• Like 2

Without seeing your settings in the software, we don't know what your doing.  .  Where did you get the cable running from the Keyspan to the vinyl cutter. ? 

2 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

Without seeing your settings in the software, we don't know what your doing.  .  Where did you get the cable running from the Keyspan to the vinyl cutter. ? 

I ordered it off amazon, tripp lite null modem gold cable Male/Female. Which setting do you need?  I'll screen shot anything! I'm losing my mind at this point :(

Which ever software that your using now.  Where it is showing the com port settings.   Should be device manager. As well as your software. 

In Windows, Right Click My Computer > Properties > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT).  Expand that and see what Com Port number Windows assigned to your keyspan. Whatever that number is, that's what SBE needs to be set to that number. SBE > Cutter > Setup > Output Device

Let's get started with that, and see if that gets you some results.

Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 3.48.11 PM.png

• Like 1

Where are we at in this troubleshooting exercise?

Let us see the Cutter Setup screen in SBE, might offer a clue.

I'm using the foison c48 vinyl cutter with usb connection 0n signblazer. Mine seems to be set up fine, blazer com4, usb serial port. foison c48 vinyl cutter selected. on devices and printers its recognized. everything seems fine until i send the command to cut. the plotter doesn't do anything but the program shows the job has been completed. no error message. same result with the serial connection.1052251447_foisonc48onsb.thumb.jpg.7419596dbc174f28d71fc23ad4433b5c.jpg no error but the vinyl cutter does not move at all.

Hi.

I would suggest going into your USB-Serial Com Port Properties (right click on it within the device list) and manually change the Port to 2 or 1 and see if it gets the cutter to respond.