Pebbles1488

Cutter not initializing

that and signblazer used to have a drop down for either refine mh-721 or uscutter mh-721 depending on which version you had

5 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

that and signblazer used to have a drop down for either refine mh-721 or uscutter mh-721 depending on which version you had

I have the refine MH721, and with the signblazer no hassle program installed, it makes me pick the redsail. It works PERFECTLY on my desktop, but it won't work connected to the new Lenovo Yoga 730-15" laptop/tablet

curious how old this mh721 is - there have been at least 3 versions I know of with different mainboards - - - 

The video from UScutter, shows go to the USB ports  In  device manager.    Not the printers.  I gave her that video from you tube,  You go to Universal Serial Bus controllers, Click the arrow beside the top one and open the whole list up.  With the vinyl cutter turned on.   She should be able to unplug  and it  and plug back in and her com port number shows up.   Match it in Signblazer .   If there is an error  like a question mark,  beside that com port, then the driver is not installed.   

Watch the video,  this part starts at 5:35.  You can move the video to 5:35 and watch.   

• Like 1

the video is from 2010 and the newer ones seem to contradict how I remember doing it years ago like you show skeeter - I think on youtube I found something like 4 different videos on setup of the 721 from uscutter along with all the other ones people have made - wish I had one sitting around to go thru it so I could see again but chances of me buying another 721 are nill

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

curious how old this mh721 is - there have been at least 3 versions I know of with different mainboards - - - 

I bought this one, to replace my old one, in 2017. So it's newer, so to speak. It works on my desktop, with Windows 10.

1 minute ago, deannasdecals said:

I bought this one, to replace my old one, in 2017. So it's newer, so to speak. It works on my desktop, with Windows 10.

After you do that reboot your computer. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MZ SKEETER said:

The video from UScutter, shows go to the USB ports  In  device manager.    Not the printers.  I gave her that video from you tube,  You go to Universal Serial Bus controllers, Click the arrow beside the top one and open the whole list up.  With the vinyl cutter turned on.   She should be able to unplug  and it  and plug back in and her com port number shows up.   Match it in Signblazer .   If there is an error  like a question mark,  beside that com port, then the driver is not installed.   

Watch the video,  this part starts at 5:35.  You can move the video to 5:35 and watch.   

I did try this, but because it was so old, it did not apply to Windows 10. :(

It went up to windows 7.  You can also put that laptop on capability mode of windows 7, so it can run older software.   All computers can do that.   But personally I would quit messing with the USB cable and cannect the cutter with a Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter and be done with it.  Serial and Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter are the way to go. Much better connections and controls the flow of data, and lets you run larger designs, as it helps with the memory. We tell these people with value cutters to run that. 

Find the best price   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-PC-Mac-USA-19HS/113534390768?epid=1194060954&hash=item1a6f2d51f0:g:yBsAAOSwcZ1cNBmS:rk:1:pf:0

2 hours ago, MZ SKEETER said:

After you do that reboot your computer. 

Ok, rebooted, ran to Best Buy, bought the cable, hooked it up.....said it was sending to the printer, and then completed, but did not actually send it to the cutter :blink:

19 minutes ago, deannasdecals said:

Ok, rebooted, ran to Best Buy, bought the cable, hooked it up.....said it was sending to the printer, and then completed, but did not actually send it to the cutter :blink:

explain how you hooked the cable up please.  And show some screen shots of the settings like before. 

The brand that I told you to purchase and showed you the picture, is Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter.  That is the brand name.   That is the one guaranteed to work with a vinyl cutter.   You cannot just go find any  USB to serial Adapter.  Those also have the same cheap Chinese chip set like the MH cutter.   They will not work with a vinyl cutter.  You have to purchase the TrIpp-lite brand like I showed you. 

• Like 1

When you get the Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter,  You will also download the driver for it.  You will plug the USB end into your computer.  Then you will connect 1 end of the null modem cable that came with your vinyl cutter to the Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter, and the other end to your vinyl cutter. The null modem cable will be between your vinyl cutter and the Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter. 

• Like 1

We have seen the Best Buy one not work before and by not using the null modem cable a couple of the pin connections will be wired wrong .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deannasdecals said:

got the USB to RS-232 Serial adapter, plugged it in to the USB port on the laptop. 

Are you using the serial cable that came with the cutter? That should be a null modem cable, if you're using a straight cable it will not work.

As has been said before, the make of usb-serial can be a factor and while the tripp lite version is known to work, there are others out there that will work as well. If the unit you bought is a true Prolific unit I would expect it to work, Prolific is a pretty good company, however there are a bunch of counterfeit chips that identify themselves as Prolific and are of a lesser quality.

Should I be using a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter? My computer has a serial port.

Thank you. >:D

• Haha 2

Yeah, guess that should always be asked first before pointing people to an adapter, if you have a serial port use it. It will work so much easier than any USB setup.

6 minutes ago, slice&dice said:

Should I be using a Tripp-lite Keyspan Adapter? My computer has a serial port.

Thank you. >:D

The Tripp-Lite Keyspan Adapter is for people who do not have a serial connection.   Most new computers only have the USB connections. The Tripp-lite has a USB connection to your laptop etc.     Serial would be the way you should go. 

She stated the brand of laptop that she had in previous post.

• Like 1