Sign in to follow this  
The Vinyl Shop

Strange anomaly recently

Recently i have noticed a strange phenomena.  I make all my cut files in AI and I do it the standard way, I will open my .png file then select image trace then expand and so one, been doing it this way for 10 years.  Now as of last week with NO changes that I am aware of I am getting double lines that get cut?  I noticed after many ruined cuts that I had double everything on my cut file, where I had to manually go in and delete every aspect of the second cut file?  It is driving me nuts and costing so much time, anyone have a clue?

Why are you creating the design 2 times?  I am assuming AI is Adobe Illustrator?  You posted AI...  If you are creating in Adobe Illustrator, the file is already a vector and does not need traced.  What am I missing here? 

I use AI to make my cut files but when i do it the way i have been doing it for a decade now makes double the cut lines.  It cuts 2 times and ruins the materials I have no idea how it is being doubled.

2 minutes ago, The Vinyl Shop said:

I use AI to make my cut files but when i do it the way i have been doing it for a decade now makes double the cut lines.  It cuts 2 times and ruins the materials I have no idea how it is being doubled.

How are you creating files in AI?  are you drawing them? How?

No i make them in PS then save as .png then move to ai.  Again this part has nothing to do with it.  I am curious as to why I have been doing it this way and now as of last week every cut file i make is making 2?

Makes more sense then.  Photoshop is a pixal program and can be traced.   You threw me off from the git go.  And you would be surprised at people who trace things 2 times.  Very few people use SCALP on here since Vinyl Master has been an option.  Too many glitches in it.  Did your computer do an update?  I would contact Craftege.  They are your tech support. 

I use Sure Cuts Alot Pro and a sc34 cutter, again I am not tracing anything 2 times, just when it gets to be cut it is cutting everything twice.  I now can go back into the ai file and deleted the second cut file and its fine it just eats up so much time.

So is the file double in SCALP?  Before you send the file to the cutter? If so, contact Craftege.   Craftedge has their own forum of SCALP users.  Maybe someone there has your problem.  I can't think of any regular forum user here that even uses SCALP anymore.   Too many glitches with it. 

Maybe some setting got changed. AI can make unfilled objects in open areas within "holes" like the inside of a D in some operations or if you use "merge" instead of "unite". If you happen to use a different trace setting preset it could have triggered this. To check this when you have the file open in Illustrator look through the stack in the layers panel and see if you have duplicates or any unfilled objects. The little preview in that panel is pretty obvious when they have no fill. If you can't figure it out make a test file with something not copyright protected and post the .ai file and we can open it and see whats up.

Another way to deal with this is you should be able to cut by color in SCALP and just choose the color you want. If it's showing two colors on a single color job that will be obvious too. I recommend figuring it out in AI rather than just sorting it at cut time though. 

I use Corel and SCALP I often will get double lines from corel or if I forget to change the line to none when in design mode when making my SVG.  

What I do in SCALP to correct this is union the object, It works like a charm. I've attached a screen print. 

1.png

okay - could it be cutting double because it's trying to cut the line thickness, rather than just seeing it a single cut line?

when you start your design, are you already designing in vector (sorry if that's a stupid question (on my part), I know nothing about Corel)

Also make sure you didn't accidently turn multi cut on in the cut settings. Make sure it's set to off.

1b.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, haumana said:

okay - could it be cutting double because it's trying to cut the line thickness, rather than just seeing it a single cut line?

when you start your design, are you already designing in vector (sorry if that's a stupid question (on my part), I know nothing about Corel)

In my case yes it's trying to cut a thick line or the fill and the line. I don't think that is the ops issue though.

3 minutes ago, busterbay said:

In my case yes it's trying to cut a thick line or the fill and the line. I don't think that is the ops issue though.

thanks for the clarification! good to know.