Kronick Designs

Layering vinyl

Still green when it comes to layering. I wanted to ask about application fluid. Can I use that to layer a design that is still on backing paper? 

Trying to do it dry but I just don't have the technique down yet. I though about trying application fluid, or soap and water to layer the different colors.

Recommendations...?

app fluid is typically used when doing the final application to wherever the decal needs to be - on a window, on a tailgate, etc.

have you watched some YouTube videos on layering? they have some very good, and very short instructional vids on it. I layer once in a while, and I cannot always get it exact, but I get as close to it as I can. how you cut the different colors can also make a huge difference.

• Like 2

Ideally you want to do the layering at application, layering on backing paper you can/will get more bubbles.

With that, a great way to get layers lined up is using parchment paper. The vinyl and application tape do not stick to it and it is see through enough to get things lined up pretty easily.

• Like 2

App fluid pretty much an "in situ" product. Partly because as soon as you use it it will begin to affect the app tape. I try to do mostly dry app and in large part just because I don't like to spend extra time waiting around and that pretty much what my experience has been with the fluid. It does a great job of keeping the un-applied portions of the graphic floating off the surface and there are definitely times it should be used. It also works great to soften the grip on app tape from the back side after application too. 

• Like 2