Sign in to follow this  
kctrader

Summa DC5Sx Question

Anyone on here using a Summa DC5SX?  Your thoughts pro or con?  I have an opportunity to pick up a used one for what I think is a decent price, but don't really know much about them and can't find a lot of information online.  Right now I am only doing cut vinyl and would like to be able to get into labels, decals,etc.   Anything to look for in a used unit?  Any advice would be appreciated.

• Like 1

$7500. (30" unit)

This thing is huge and heavy.

Thermal consumables are probably much more expensive than inks.  (look up the pricing for those 5 ribbon cassettes that are proprietary to Summa). You would have to start with ten of them 5 in the machine and 5 on the shelf.

It might be a worthwhile investment if you have the space to run it and enough work to keep churning out in order to achieve a pay-back that's not gonna take forever!

I have been pining for one for several years.  

Pro's: Safe to let sit for weeks or even moths without use because they don't use ink. They don't need laminated for UV protection. Print white, gold, silver and on all sorts colors like on chrome. Summa is a really good product and the cutter part of this unit is pretty much the same as my current SummaCut D75R although it does NOT have a small piece drive roller so you can't do scraps. 

Con's: More expensive per Sq In print costs but if you take into account no laminate then it's not as big a gap and the lack of all the print head maintenance should be worth a lot too. Can't print on banner material which some of the regular printers can. May need laminate to protect in abrasive environments. CMYK prints may not be as high quality as a regular printer.

I haven't jumped on one so far because I do mostly heat transfer on garments and they aren't good for that. If they had a good solution for shirts I would have one right now. For small sticker style work I kind of thing they are probably the bomb. 

Thanks for the responses.   I've read there is an issue with banding on anything over 4" inches, anybody know if that is still true.   I saw the one listed above.  Think that's a fair price?  I can't find a whole lot to compare too.  If it is, the one I'm looking at is a steal and I think I need to jump on it.  I know it is a beast.  I have to figure beer money into the budget to get help moving it.  Looks like it's 400+ pounds. 

There shouldn't be banding if it's working right. I think the older units may have had more issues with that. I may be wrong but the DC5SX is a fairly new model. I think i would demand a test print or the steal might turn into who's stealing from whom. Also make sure it comes with RIP software or you are going to have issues as well. 

• Like 1