Sign in to follow this  
BSTRAW53

Will any of the vinyl cutters also cut large mat board frames?

I'm in the market to buy a large vinyl cutter to have in my small business. I do a lot of different things from tee shirts to custom framing. I currently cut all of the mat board by hand using a mat board cutter. I was wondering if any of the available vinyl plotters might be able to cut custom frames out of large sheets of mat board? Any information or advise would be great! 

How big are these mats?  Most vinyl cutters are not intended to cut all the way thru.  Most have to use a cutting mat, or you will destroy the vinyl cutter cutting strip as well as your blade. .  A Graphtec FC8600  has a groove in the front, that allows the blade to go into and all the way thru vinyl etc. 

• Like 1

The cutters were not designed to cut through material as thick as a mat board. The drag stress on the motor and carriage would be kind of crazy.

• Like 3

The fast answer is simply NO.

From what I know of mat boards for custom framing, the openings are often bevel-cut. Not gonna happen with any of the plotters we use to cut vinyl.

• Like 2

That is kind of what I was expecting to hear. I was just wondering if any of the more advanced machines had this feature. You are correct that a lot custom frames use a bevel, but I was hoping I could find a machine that could cut names and things like that in the material. I know a lot of bigger framing shops have special machines that will do bevel cuts for them. I was just hoping to find one that would fill multiple needs for me. Thanks everyone!