Sign in to follow this  
Kronick Designs

Help with graphic...

How would you cut this image? It's a jpg file, about 96 DPI. I run it though the image trace on Illustrator but when I expand it, it's a mess of paths.

Anyone have a recommendation on how to get this cut ready so I can layer it?

Thanks,

Cassandralogo1.jpg

Oh wow...ok, I didn't realize it was a shutterstock file. My cousin actually sent it to me and wanted it cut.

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry about that...

If the admin need to delete this post, feel free...!

Just the fact that it was ALREADY created, makes it copyrighted.  Anything already created, does not belong to you, and is copyrighted.  It does not have to registered, only created.  In other words, if you did not create the image, and you do not have permission from the owner, leave the image alone. 

10 minutes ago, Kronick Designs said:

I understand copyrights, I didn't know that she got it from there.

It does not matter where it came from, OR you don't understand copyrights.  You did not create it, or have permission from the owner to use it.  Google reverse image.is a great tool to use.   If the image is out there anywhere.  It is copyrighted.   Your showing the image. So it was already created.  An image is copyrighted as soon as it is created. 

• Like 2

Calm down ok, she did by the license to use the image after all. So, thanks for the lecture, someone else gave me some pointers on how to do it. Yes I do know what copyrights and trademarks are and how they work, I have one. Good day sir...

1 hour ago, Kronick Designs said:

Calm down ok, she did by the license to use the image after all. So, thanks for the lecture, someone else gave me some pointers on how to do it. Yes I do know what copyrights and trademarks are and how they work, I have one. Good day sir...

If she has the license,  why are you here to have someone vector it for you?   This design legally purchased is already a vector design.  That is what I posted above.  Go use her vector with her license then. 

Cute cat cartoon - Vector

Ok, first of all, I didn't ask anyone to vector it for me. I simply asked for recommendations, not a lecture from you about what's legal and what isn't. So do me a favor and just stop responding. 

Admin, please delete this thread since it's been hijacked by a copyright/trademark expert...thank you... 

Sorry Kronick she is right on the money as far as the forum stance. I'm going to leave it up simply as a reminder to others that the forum holds no illusions about the copyright laws. It is against forum rules to post copyright protected content. It is NOT necessarily against the rules to discuss the topic however so:

To answer your actual question in a hypothetical; that particular design should you get access to the vector version (Shutterstock sells several options many of which are not vector format so it's quite possible that the one she purchased was just a jpg) it will be a real mess to try and cut with vinyl. At least that would be the case should you attempt to include all the highlights and shadows. Once in possession of the actual vector file you should be able to pull it apart and sort out all the elements that aren't going to be compatible. Due to the nature of that design an auto trace in any program will result in a big mess as you sound like you have found. 

Often the contributors to Shutterstock design specifically in ways that make auto trace impractical in order to preserve their potential revenue streams. We see a lot of folks come through who are wanting to copy protected work illegally and the forum is particularly protective of this because many of us are artists in our own right. The bottom line is that the forum can't and won't help out with things that might cause liability to fall on the people who fund this site. We kind of like it here and want them to keep it going so we act as watchdogs so to speak. If you feel offended by the way you were responded to just realize that seeing literally hundreds of different posts, most of them make similar claims that they have the license etc... but like she pointed out if that is the case then there would be no need to trace it so it naturally raises suspicion. My recommendation is to let it roll off your shoulders, move on and refrain from the subject in the future. 

• Like 4

and that just about covers that - good response by goose - Skeeter was just informing not lecturing.   Don't be discouraged as it is part of the learning about the business. 

• Like 2

For reference, this design requires you to ONLY vectorize the cat's face. Those concentric circles can be just created on the fly within your design program, and then put the cat inside.

By the way, a really good vector engine is provided within the VinylMaster program, it's probably one of the best out there.

I speak from true experience Kronick. I was once a newbie and argued with this very forum about a design that I actually built which was a parody of a HD logo. I literally spent a few weeks delving into the true nature of copyright and even went as far as emailing HD about my parody and explaining why I felt it was well within the Fair Use protection. They sent a Cease and Desist letter back and told me to pound sand and should I go into production I'd promptly find myself in a lawsuit. One of my good friends is an attorney and after a conversation with him I found that yes I was clearly within the Fair Use protection as an obvious parody HOWEVER they could still sue me and basically how much money did I have to fight the ominous HD corp? No where near enough. I quietly dropped the subject and moved on with my life and kept my house and cars. 

In truth most small operators like yourself or myself will rarely do enough business to draw the attention of a major corporation and if noticed a cease and desist letter will generally be the end of it (if obeyed) because they don't see enough potential payback for the legal fight. But if the forum somehow facilitates copyright infringement then the forum owners are liable and they DO have some money behind them so you better believe they might go after US Cutter. Thus the touchy subject. 

Hardly-Davidson.jpg

• Like 2

Talking with my cousin this morning, she bought the jpg only from a site called "canva". She never got it from shutterstock. She even sent me the email of the receipt showing that she paid for the image in jpg format. 

I'm sorry if I got a little hostile, but being in the screen printing business for over a decade, I know these laws and how they work. I wasn't trying to skirt copyrights/trademarks, I was simply asking for recommendations on how to make this image cut ready. I fully understand where skeeter is coming from, but I felt like i was being lectured. I will make sure moving forward that I will clearly state that any image I post is owned by me or that i have paid for it.

Wildgoose, I also have had issues with Harley Davidson, their legal team is very tough to deal with, but it got resolved in the end and we were able to come to an understanding. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Wildgoose said:

Hardly-Davidson.jpg

even the bar and shield is fiercely protected by HD - knew someone that had words that didn't even begin to sound like there name in the bar and shield learn that one. The most famous one on our forum was the person asked to decal a race car - a bumper sticker sized protected artwork brought a $15,000 suit - it was all a set up by one of the trolls hired by companies.    some battles are not worth the fighting 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kronick Designs said:

Talking with my cousin this morning, she bought the jpg only from a site called "canva". She never got it from shutterstock. She even sent me the email of the receipt showing that she paid for the image in jpg format. 

I'm sorry if I got a little hostile, but being in the screen printing business for over a decade, I know these laws and how they work. I wasn't trying to skirt copyrights/trademarks, I was simply asking for recommendations on how to make this image cut ready. I fully understand where skeeter is coming from, but I felt like i was being lectured. I will make sure moving forward that I will clearly state that any image I post is owned by me or that i have paid for it.

Wildgoose, I also have had issues with Harley Davidson, their legal team is very tough to deal with, but it got resolved in the end and we were able to come to an understanding. 

You are correct about Dianna Johanna Valeasquez selling her work on many different sites and not just shutterstock - 

• Like 2

Kronick, I've clearly explained what to do. Vector just the kitty. Add the circles.  (I managed to remake this entire design in three minutes).

• Like 2

You're most welcome, glad to have pointed you in the right direction. Another WINNNING thread !!!

How come I just don't get tired of WINNING?!!!    :laugh:     (hat tip to DT)

• Haha 1