Sign in to follow this  
mfatty500

It's the 1st of the month..

Speaking of back ups...What programs are you all using for auto back-ups?

I would sure like to find one that will back up automatically every night.

TIA

Sue2

I also advice making a duplicate back-up, because back-up's can fail.

or, if you're totally fanatical - Carbonite works too ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

separate drive on the main computer - extra drive where info also kept on old printer computer - most of them on 3rd computer and also on a NAS drive - 

• Like 2

nice! I think i'm just uber paranoid. I run Carbonite on my main puter, but there's so much data on it, that it's going to take Carbonie months to back all of it. In the meantime, I have 4 clouds running, one of them offsite - in case of some kind of catastrophic disaster; and a 6TB destktop that catches data, and it my digital movie back-up server. Just a teensy-weensy paranoid about data loss :blink:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, haumana said:

nice! I think i'm just uber paranoid. I run Carbonite on my main puter, but there's so much data on it, that it's going to take Carbonie months to back all of it. In the meantime, I have 4 clouds running, one of them offsite - in case of some kind of catastrophic disaster; and a 6TB destktop that catches data, and it my digital movie back-up server. Just a teensy-weensy paranoid about data loss :blink:

Paranoid, maybe? At least you know you're covered and can sleep soundly at night, nothing wrong with that. My venerable iMac (mid 2010 edition) finally had an issue just before Christmas and I ended up having to change out the hard drive. I had been a little slack with the time machine but had most everything current so other than re-loading all my software it was not too big a deal. I now have a SSD in the old girl and the newest High Sierra update which was out of the old HD's reach so in the end it was a good thing. Hopefully I can get another 8 years out of the rest of the components and the SSD definitely tickled the performance up a notch. About the only complaint is the drive runs warmer so the fan kicks on more often than the old one.

Nice! I'm still keeping my MacPro (early 2009) running. The other night I was dreading that GPU was dying because my secondary monitor kept winking on and off and then reappearing with a really low resolution. Had to take it out, lots and lots of canned air later - and it's running like a champ again. I think this is my 3rd OS drive I'm on, finally upgraded to an SSD a few year back - huge difference. Will probably do the same for the Parallel Win7 partition, but not in a rush to do that. I'm trying to keep this beast running as long as I possibly can. Cost a small fortune back in the day, and the majority of my software is now legacy, so I motor along on Yosemite.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sue2 said:

TIA

Sue2

If you're looking for something a bit more automated for PC, I believe that Western Digital has some software that they pre-install on their externals. I guess it depends on if you're wanting to back up data only, or the entire system, then that would be some other kind of software needed. Some of my clients like Acronis (not endorsing it, just stating it).

I personally love Backup Maker.  It's simple, free for personal use and cheap to register, and automated.  You can back up to NAS, external drives, where ever.

My strategy is to back up all of my computers to my network storage which is running two redundant drives.  I also save anything super important to the cloud.   Then I use "cold storage drives" to back up the network storage once a month and I keep them encrypted at another location.

I've had many drives fail and I've managed to come out almost every time with very little to no data loss.

Check out Backup Maker.  I've been using it for years and it is great.

15 hours ago, Sue2 said:

TIA

Sue2

Allways Sync is a kick ass program.   You can schedule backups to ANYTHING. You can also backup in real time.   

It'll completely sync an drives or folders.  

I use it to sync everything business with my harddrive, dropbox, USB drive, and backup network drive.   

I second Always Sync.  I used to use it as well.  I find Backup Maker a little more automated but Always Sync does a great job.  Allways Sync does not allow you to put the files in a catalog or compress them though.  It also does not version files.  At least the older version didn't.  Allways Sync has its advantages though.