freddybpr

Trying to be a member of the family!!!

Hi guys, I can't decide between the MH series and the SC2(contour cutting feature, don't know how important this is...lol).I plan to use it mainly for decals and some cardstock.

Other question is to get 28" or 34"?

Thanks in advance for all the imputs that you can provide me!

If you have to ask about "contour cutting feature" then you're in no position to utilize it anyway.

Why not get the largest cutter 53" ? Bigger is better, right?

Cardstock?  In general, cutters are not designed for cutting through cardboard/paper. They are made to cut very, very thin vinyl material which offers virtually no resistance to the dragging blade, and NOT to cut into the backing paper.

I believe you need to rethink your entire reason for purchasing a plotter.

Like slice said card stock is really not great idea with a plotter even though that is a feature Cricut users do quite a bit.  I have owned several 24” and works great for what I do.  I would go with the Sc over the my for cutters as it appears to have a lot less issues from what we have witnessed on the forum for years

Contour cutting is typically used with printed decals so unless you're printing and cutting you'll likely never use contour cutting.

Between the MH and the SC2, go with the SC2, or if it's in your budget go for the Titan. I have an MH and while it can be made to work ok for a hobbiest, it is a lot of work to get it to cut well and not suited for any sort of business. The one plus side to start with a MH, you will learn all the little things that need to be adjusted and monitored for the perfect cut. Higher end machines just work.

Neither of these machines are designed to cut card stock. If that is what you're wanting you should look more at the craft cutters such as the cricut and the cameo.

As for size, that just depends on what you plan to do with the cutter. 24" vinyl rolls are pretty common and often time large designs can be broken down so that they can be cut on a 24" roll and then pieced back together. However if you're going to be doing large designs often then it would be faster and easier to cut the full design on a large cutter.

• Like 3

I have a 24" cutter, rarely do I even use vinyl at that width. Majority of the stuff I cut come off a 15" 651 roll. For the vinyl I do have that I use that's wider - it's a total pain in the butt to tape up. I have a LaserPoint and have never needed to use the contour cut, like ever. Stay away from the bundled deals if you can - they will lump in stuff that you might never need or want, and it's not always the be quality product.

Figure out your budget and buy the best cutter you can get with that. Just don't for get the accoutrements - weeding tool (dental pick, exact-o, sharp tweezer, etc.), application tape (paper is the most versatile), squeegee (they come in different widths and firmness. I personally use a 3" that's firm plastic with a microfiber strip on one side), scissors, application fluid, etc. Oh, and vinyl! yah, let's not forget the vinyl!

Welcome to the madness!

• Like 3

well im late to the game as usual. but yep, I wished I had went with those words. " buy as much cutter as your budget will allow" in my case being a comp and vinyl dummie I wanted a 53" to do my 1st sign in 1 pass. I didn't wanna try and tile . so I bought the sc model. the guys at U S tried to talk me n to buying an mh. what he was saying was to buy the cheapest budget cutter to get started, if I wanted to get deeper in cutting vinyl as most do, then I wouldn't be out much when I pushed the mh in the corner to collect dust. or if I decided it wasn't for me, wasn't a big loss selling on craigslist or letgo.  whats funny is Ive noticed lately people selling used mh models for more than U S gets for a new 1, especially a refurb.  but from what ive read on here from other users, the mh gives a lot of trouble. my sc somewhat hasn't. it came in damaged, either from shipping or when assembled. but since then other than minor things Ive cut a lot of vinyl since I bought it in 2016.  the sc2 is supposed to a big improvement